1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Chances of Getting into NYU or Columbia Dental School

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by conds, Jun 11, 2018.

1. conds

Hi, I am applying for dental school and I need help composing a list of dental schools to apply to. I would like to apply to at least 12. I am incredibly nervous as I have no one in my family that is a dentist nor do I have any friends going through the pre-dent process. I would really like your opinion no matter how critical. Thank you. [EDIT: Will be applying to schools Columbia, MICH, Tufts, NYU, USC, BU and Master programs]

Undergrad Institution: T-50
    Major: Industrial Engineering
    Minor: Mathematics
    State: FL but seeking to go out of state
    GPA: (estimated) 3.0 cgpa, 2.8 scgpa, 3.7nonsciencegpa - transcript is very colorful
    DAT: TBA [will update when exam has been taken]

Applying Disadvantaged Status, and in July

Extracurriculars:
    2000 volunteer service hours
    4 research experiences
    President of 4 orgs and 1 sports team
    3 international experiences (Pakistan, Nigeria, Ghana)
    500+ hours of shadowing (in general surgery w/ focus on mouth), shooting for 500+ hours in dental shadowing by the end of summer

Employment:
    WHO, EU Center of Excellence, Library of Congress, Securities and Exchange Commission

#1 conds, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 6:30 PM
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carlsaganlvr10

Pre-Dental
    It’s difficult to say what your chances would be without your DAT. You definitely need to get a 23+ to offset your lower than average GPA. For Columbia, your GPA is well below their average, so I think it will be difficult to get in there. As for NYU, you might have a chance with a strong DAT. Overall, the fact that you’re planning to apply end of August really hurts your chances especially looking at your low GPA (even with a high DAT).

Have you considered doing a one year master’s? Shoot for 3.6+

Big Time Hoosier likes this.
  4. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend.
    Dentist

Dentist
    This is absolutely the wrong move! You need to do all you can to get into the University of Florida. NYU will cost you almost $600,000 when all is said and done. Your GPA is low for Columbia, also a pricey school. Looks like you have solid extracurriculars, aside from your work laundering money at the Clinton Foundation.

Big Hoss

5. conds

I have considered it. And I will be applying to masters programs come fall. What about UNC, UPenn, USC and UCLA. Those are the other 4 schools I am considering. Are any of those schools leaning towards students with low GPAs, and high DATs?

6. conds

Thanks! I will add UF onto the app. I am not worried about the cost of school right now bc I feel that my chances are slim of getting into dental school regardless. But I will apply to Columbia but have greatly lowered my expectations. Do you have any other recommendations for schools I should consider.

7. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist

Dentist
    UNC is not out of state friendly and is competitive. UPenn is also going to run you $500,000+ and is pretty competitive. UCLA is also very competitive. USC has lower stats, but will run you $600,000. I applied to dental school back in 2010, so others can probably give you better tips on which schools to apply to.

Big Hoss

conds likes this.
  8. dhy01265

Pre-Dental
    Advice seems good. Only reason i chose NYU is because i am from the area and I am fortunate enough that my parents are paying for tuition. If the OP is from florida, is there a particular reason you want to go to NY area?

conds likes this.
  9. conds

I want to live and work in NY and that is why I am interested in going to school there. That is why I am applying to schools in the North East

10. redfish955

Non-Student
    Your absolute number one goal should be to go to the cheapest school possible. These loans are at 6.8% which means that a 500k loan will grow 32k a year. If you pay 50k the first year only 18k will go towards paying down that loan. You will likely be paying 50k a year for 20 years once you graduate or you will pay 90k a year for like 7 years after you graduate. Either path will be tough if you spend that much on school

Big Time Hoosier and conds like this.
  11. conds

Wow. I will do my research further into the costs of these schools. Do you have any recommendations on schools I should consider applying to given my stats and/or costs. Thank you

12. Medin2017

Pre-Dental
    Unexpected... I was sure you were ~50 years old

13. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist

Dentist
    Maybe based on my hairline and old man strength.

Big Hoss

schmoob and Medin2017 like this.
  14. themuffinman11

I think it’s more because you sign your name at the end of every post :laugh:

15. ProspectivePostPreDent

Pre-Dental
    Applying to a number of schools, including Penn, Columbia, and UCLA, is basically a donation with your sgpa.

I recommend you look up doc toothache's charts to get a realistic idea of who might accept you (if you blitz the DAT, otherwise you're not in a great spot).

As far as "inexpensive" schools that might accept you, the only one i'd see as a decent possibility would be lecom, though that doesn't get you out of state.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Namelessking

Pre-Dental
    Definitely leave that bit with the Clinton foundation out -_-

18. helloboys

Why? he''s applying to liberal schools.

19. Jueves

Jueves #FreeJueves

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but a 2.8 sGPA will not get you into Penn, Or UCLA. The bottom 5% sGPA for their classes were 3.21 and 3.13 respectively. North Carolina has a 3.6 GPA average with abysmal OOS acceptance rate, and USC & NYU runs at about 600k BEFORE interest. I would suggest you look up “Orthodontist with 1 Million in student debt” on google and you will find USC grad Mike Meru.

You have a wide net of strong schools in Florida that have a much more manageable price tag. You have UF, LECOM, and Nova- all of which are under 400k if finances are managed correctly. As a matter of fact- @Stanelz has some great insights on LECOM and has managed it to cost around if not under 300k- cheaper than some state schools.

In addition to applying to FL schools, I suggest you purchase Adea Dental School Explorer- it’s a phenomenal online tool that lets you look up the stats and demographics of any school. Apply to 15 instead of 12- and add some private schools such as Boston or UNE in your list. Best of Luck.

Stanelz, conds and Big Time Hoosier like this.
  20. hmmmidk

Dental Student
    You have some interesting ecs. If you can get 24+ on dat as you planned and can eloquently explain your sgpa situation (maybe in your ps) without making it seem like an excuse, then I would say you have a slim shot at schools like columbia (wouldn't get your hopes up though, it will be much like winning a raffle).

Personally, I would do like a 1 year masters, take your dat while doing so, shadow a little bit, and apply the following year

conds likes this.
  21. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist

Dentist
    That's the thing, everyone plans to get a 24+. How does that usually work out for them? A 24+ when I took it in 2010 put you well into the 99th percentile. That's a very small group of people. Of the 12,000 or so people who take the exam in any given year, you'd be one of the top 50-100.

Big Hoss

22. hmmmidk

Dental Student
    I agree. Even if he achieves the improbable, his chances are slim in getting into really competitive schools. The reason why I passively gave him another option he can take

#20 hmmmidk, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    conds likes this.
  23. conds

Thanks all. This was very helpful. I was originally planning on applying to 12 schools but have cut it down to 6 leaving me room to spend money on master's programs in the apparently very probable case I don't get into dental school. I am no longer considering UCLA, UPenn, UNC, and etc, as those schools are clearly out of my lane. Anyways, I will be applying to these schools: MICH, USC, BU, Tufts, NYU, and UF and hopefully sending my applications in early July.

24. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist

Dentist
    Good luck!

Big Hoss

conds likes this.