This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PorkChop2805

Barnacle Boii
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been back and forth with my chances of getting into medical school for the longest time and I have used this forum as a guide. I think it is due time that I got some personal feedback from the users on this forum, though. I am only applying to Osteopathic medical schools for my interests and love for medicine are parallel with their holistic values.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. You should also try your state public MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
My science GPA is quite low, but my last two years of school have both been 3.6 and above. Will I get weeded out on a computer before I have a chance to explain my trend/reasons for the academic bruise?

A majority schools prescreen at the c/sGPA 3.0 mark; however, some schools like KCU-COM have higher requirements around 3.25.

Does this mean that I have a shot even though I am below the school's acceptance average?

Specific to KCU-COM means that you most likely won't get past their pre-screening process due to your sGPA being below the requirement.

In general, your GPA is slightly lower but your MCAT is higher than most schools' averages. Therefore, I recommend you apply to most DO schools excluding the ones that have a pre-screen GPA >3.0 mark (e.g. KCU-COM) and those that have high in-state preferences, (e.g. MSU-COM).

Reactions: 1 user
My science GPA is quite low, but my last two years of school have both been 3.6 and above. Will I get weeded out on a computer before I have a chance to explain my trend/reasons for the academic bruise?
You will not be screened out at most DO schools. Your MCAT is at or above the median for all DO schools.

Solid chance, make sure you address your lower GPA and how you have matured and how you can prove to them you will do better. Kill the interviews you get!

3.0 is usually the magic number; you're above that with an upward trend that's decent for DO schools.

With an avg MCAT score, probably. IF you have lots of Ecs with service to others less fortunate than yourself, you might get some love fromt he service loving schools. But chances for mD are best with your state schools.

Apply broadly to DO. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.