Chances of getting into PA School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAPac44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if some of you could shed some light on my chances of getting into PA school, preferably Touro Bayshore. I did my undergrad at Stony Brook University...

Science GPA= 3.039
Overall GPA= 3.35

** My first few years of my undergrad I was unsure of what to do in life and was playing Division I Ice Hockey for Stony Brook along with working...therefore my grades suffered a bit, specifically the science classes i took early on, since about my second and half year to the end of my undergrad i received nothing but A's and B's...After I graduated I continued to take courses including Anatomy and Phys I + II, Microbiology, Medical Terminology and EMT-B, in which I earned A's, a 4.0 in all of these classes and was at the top of my class in all.

Other Information:
Patient to Patient Hours: ~1100 as a PT Aide
PA shadowing hours: ~250 shadowing a Family Care PA
24 hours of clinical rotations in the Stony Brook Univ Emergency Room
Emergency Room Companion certification
First aid/ CPR / AED certfication
EMT-B certification
Mandated reporter certification
Volunteer hours helping build houses with Habitat for Humanity
Playing Division I Ice Hockey for Stony Brook for 4 years during undergrad

I am a very hard worker and will do whatever it takes to show the admissions that my GPA doesnt come close to representing my work ethic and intelligence, it just took me a little bit of time to figure out what i wanted in life and to mature.

I am currently in the process of applying for PA school for the upcoming cycle, and am studying to take my GRE in june where i hopefully will score high and have that help me out with getting into a school

Thanks for any help, and please if you have any advice towards me it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It is great to hear positive things right now as I am a little down on myself for the GPA i acquired in my teens before I realized my passion for medicine...

I planned on applying to many programs in New York including Touro Bayshore, Stonybrook, NYIT, LIU, St. Johns and Hoftsta...are there any other programs you would suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are limited to ny state apply to more programs there.

any advice on which other programs to apply too? Im really hoping Touro because its within driving distance and i think they take more applicants with average gpas...but im not 100% sure.

any advice on which other programs to apply too? Im really hoping touro because its within driving distance and i think they take more applicants with average gpas...but im not 100% sure.
your list is good. I am on the west coast so don't know about most of the nyc programs. Maybe ask your question on the pa forum at www.physicianassistantforum.com

Okay i just signed up to their forum, thanks for the help and encouragement