Chances of getting into Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baller103

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cumulative gpa is 3.35 and my science gpa is 3.21. MCAT score of 17 but im planning to retake it. What are my chances? I really like NYU college of podiatry medicine

Members don't see this ad.

NYCPM is what you mean. I know a girl from my undergrad that got into school with an 18 MCAT, but she had a 4.0 as a Chemistry major. I would say since your GPA is not too outstanding in terms of Pod applicants (I am not one to talk) you will need to raise your score to at least a 22. That is my opinion. If I may, what was the break down of your MCAT score? I talked to a couple schools recently and from what I gather a low score in the P.S section can be somewhat over looked if you have taken upper-level elective courses, meaning Histo, BioChem, Immunology and the like, and have done well in them. Also, if you have not graduated yet, continue to supplement your schedule with these upper level science courses, and do well in them, to show you are capable. Another thing, if you are planning to apply this cycle, do not disregard applying in say September or October, allowing some time to study for your MCAT. I was told that there is an obvious, huge influx of applications in August, which delays your feed back time by 4-5 weeks anyway, especially if you are not a 4.0, 30Q applicant. One of the schools I spoke with today mentioned that priority is given to applicants all the way through December for Scholarship opportunities, and possibly acceptances as well. Definitely give your self enough time to study, and if there is a low section on your MCAT, focus your efforts on it while maintaining scores in other sections.

My cumulative gpa is 3.35 and my science gpa is 3.21. MCAT score of 17 but im planning to retake it. What are my chances? I really like NYU college of podiatry medicine

Retake the MCAT and try for at least a 19. Your GPA is right at avg, but your MCAT is probably too low.

Especially if you are "gunning" for one school only, you want to make sure you have the best stats possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not mean to sound harsh, but 17 is not a good score at all. Before you retake it and toss the AAMC $250, why don't you look into and address why you got that score. Were you sick that day, test day anxiety, not enough studying. How have your practice tests been? Make sure you can get something at least above 20 as I think you are only allowed to take the MCAT 3x and that is it. Plus why put your self through 4h+ of misery.
Good luck whenever you retake it.

NYCPM is what you mean. I know a girl from my undergrad that got into school with an 18 MCAT, but she had a 4.0 as a Chemistry major. I would say since your GPA is not too outstanding in terms of Pod applicants (I am not one to talk) you will need to raise your score to at least a 22. That is my opinion. If I may, what was the break down of your MCAT score? I talked to a couple schools recently and from what I gather a low score in the P.S section can be somewhat over looked if you have taken upper-level elective courses, meaning Histo, BioChem, Immunology and the like, and have done well in them. Also, if you have not graduated yet, continue to supplement your schedule with these upper level science courses, and do well in them, to show you are capable. Another thing, if you are planning to apply this cycle, do not disregard applying in say September or October, allowing some time to study for your MCAT. I was told that there is an obvious, huge influx of applications in August, which delays your feed back time by 4-5 weeks anyway, especially if you are not a 4.0, 30Q applicant. One of the schools I spoke with today mentioned that priority is given to applicants all the way through December for Scholarship opportunities, and possibly acceptances as well. Definitely give your self enough time to study, and if there is a low section on your MCAT, focus your efforts on it while maintaining scores in other sections.
Thanks for all you guys feedback. I still have my senior year left and I took the MCAT with one week of solid studying. My scores was 6 on verbal, 6 on biological, and 5 on physical science. Do you guys think with my MCAT score I cant get into any Podiatry schools? I also transferred credits but i didnt count that in my overall GPA. But my overall GPA with the transfered credit was 3.45 cumalitive, 3.3 science and 3.68 non science. Is my GPA also too low for Podiatry school. I also heard that podiatry schools dont get that much applications as medicals schools? is that true

Thanks for all you guys feedback. I still have my senior year left and I took the MCAT with one week of solid studying. My scores was 6 on verbal, 6 on biological, and 5 on physical science. Do you guys think with my MCAT score I cant get into any Podiatry schools? I also transferred credits but i didnt count that in my overall GPA. But my overall GPA with the transfered credit was 3.45 cumalitive, 3.3 science and 3.68 non science. Is my GPA also too low for Podiatry school. I also heard that podiatry schools dont get that much applications as medicals schools? is that true

i'm not trying to sound offensive, but maybe try studying more than one week for the mcat....your problems will probably be solved

Your GPA is fine, but you're really going to need to increase your MCAT.