Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

chances of getting into TC

Discussion in 'Mental Health and Social Welfare' started by rugirl94, Jul 6, 2017.

1. rugirl94

Hey everyone. thinking about applying to masters in mental health counseling programs. I'm a biology major/ psychology minor. Overall GPA is a 3.1, psychology GPA is a 3.6. The only work experience I have is my hospital job as a pharmacy technician for the last 3 years and counting. I'm aiming for TC at Columbia and NYU. Can someone please tell me my chances of getting in? I hear mixed things about TC, one of them being that they accept most applicants as a way to fund their PhD program. Is this true? I can't really find anything that says what admissions usually looks for with these types of programs. Please, tell me all you know!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. biscuitsbiscuits

I don't know how TC allocates their tuition money, but I do know that their masters programs are very, very expensive. I have heard that the connections to be made there can be valuable and there's certainly the name recognition of Columbia University, but I would give the high cost quite a bit of consideration. You won't be entering a very high-paying field. If you need to take out debt to cover it (and you're a NY resident), I'd consider the Masters in Mental Health Counseling at CUNY. Probably similar career outcomes but a fraction of the debt. Not sure about this particular program, but some of their masters programs also provide funding.