Chances of getting residency in different region than medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'll be going to medical school in Ohio (Lower Middle Tier Level) but want to get a residency in Tennessee, Florida, New Hampshire or Texas (mainly for weather and to be closer to family/girlfriend). I saw that most matches were in the Midwest region, and very few were outside the region. It could be just that most students are from that region, but do residencies give highly in-state or regional bias? Will I risk not matching if I apply exclusively to other regions of the country, or maybe apply to a few in Ohio but rank them dead last? My top goal is one of 2 Cleveland Clinics in Florida, so do these clinics headquarters in Ohio help my case?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that most matches were in the Midwest region, and very few were outside the region. It could be just that most students are from that region, but do residencies give highly in-state or regional bias? Will I risk not matching if I apply exclusively to other regions of the country, or maybe apply to a few in Ohio but rank them dead last? My top goal is one of 2 Cleveland Clinics in Florida, so do these clinics headquarters in Ohio help my case?
- Match lists do need to be interpreted in context, as schools do attract (and some select for) students who are planning to stay local or regional for residency and beyond.
- Much like for medical school, residencies also have very limited resources for interviews, so only students who realistically will rank the program highly enough to match will be offered interviews. Simply attending medical school in another state/region will not exclude you from any residency. Your board scores, clerkships, LORs, application and expressed interest will determine whether you are a good candidate for their program. Similar idea for fellowship as well.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be going to medical school in Ohio (Lower Middle Tier Level) but want to get a residency in Tennessee, Florida, New Hampshire or Texas (mainly for weather and to be closer to family/girlfriend). I saw that most matches were in the Midwest region, and very few were outside the region. It could be just that most students are from that region, but do residencies give highly in-state or regional bias? Will I risk not matching if I apply exclusively to other regions of the country, or maybe apply to a few in Ohio but rank them dead last? My top goal is one of 2 Cleveland Clinics in Florida, so do these clinics headquarters in Ohio help my case?
Depends on what you go into. If you apply in derm to only programs in those 4 states you will definitely be at risk of not matching. FM is a different story.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I have an aunt that lives near Cleveland clinic and always talks about how good it is. Although I do believe the clinic's name is pretty prestigious.

Cleveland Clinic is one of the world's best medical centers. Cleveland Clinic outposts in Florida are not. Same with the new warm-weather Mayo outposts.

Reactions: 1 users