Chances of having "F" changed to "W"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virindi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of having four (4) "F" changed to "W"?

I have been following the forum for a few months now, just reading. Until I joined this forum, I was under the impression that an "F" would not harm me in any way, provided I took the course again and achieved a better replacement grade. I have since learned that any grade (even one "replaced" by a higher grade) is factored into the cGPA for medical school.

Due to my erroneous understanding (or perhaps more accurately since I had no intention of pursuing medicine), I managed to acquire four "Fs" in my years of schooling thus far (yes, each one is during a different semester). These grades were earned simply because I failed to withdraw from the courses. What was I thinking? I knew I would retake the course and due to the institution's grade replacement policy, I saw an "F" or "W" in the same light.

My cGPA is currently a 3.5, but goes down to a 2.8 if I include the "Fs". I have 2 years of undergrad left, and am wondering if anyone has any advice. If I have to take the grades as a learning lesson and spend extra time repairing my GPA, so be it; however, it seems like a tremendous hit for what I view as a technicality. I didn't fail those courses. I failed to withdraw. Thanks for any constructive advice and recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

In my university, once you passed the withdraw date, you can no longer receive a W for a course. it might be different for your university, contact your guidance counselor

What are my chances of having four (4) "F" changed to "W"?

I have been following the forum for a few months now, just reading. Until I joined this forum, I was under the impression that an "F" would not harm me in any way, provided I took the course again and achieved a better replacement grade. I have since learned that any grade (even one "replaced" by a higher grade) is factored into the cGPA for medical school.

Due to my erroneous understanding (or perhaps more accurately since I had no intention of pursuing medicine), I managed to acquire four "Fs" in my years of schooling thus far (yes, each one is during a different semester). These grades were earned simply because I failed to withdraw from the courses. What was I thinking? I knew I would retake the course and due to the institution's grade replacement policy, I saw an "F" or "W" in the same light.

My cGPA is currently a 3.5, but goes down to a 2.8 if I include the "Fs". I have 2 years of undergrad left, and am wondering if anyone has any advice. If I have to take the grades as a learning lesson and spend extra time repairing my GPA, so be it; however, it seems like a tremendous hit for what I view as a technicality. I didn't fail those courses. I failed to withdraw. Thanks for any constructive advice and recommendations.

I would say you're unlucky, but really, it's your job to know these things. Actually, simple common sense should have been enough to know every grade always counts.

DO schools have a grade replacement policy. Regardless, if your undergraduate institution is like mine, it has a class credit and GPA policy just like the one by AAMCAS. In other words, if I got a B in Inorganic Chemistry I and retake it for A credit, the first grade is not replaced. I have taken two classes and received two grades, period.

Also, when you withdraw from classes early enough in the semester, you often can get either a full or partial refund, which is always nice and WAY better than a W, let alone an F.

Also... Yes, you failed to withdraw from those classes. Then, you failed them because you weren't there for attendance points, didn't do the homework, and didn't take any of the quizzes and tests. Again, it's on you to check this stuff out ahead of time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful with how you word this to any ADCOM. Right now you don't come off with the right attitude.You sound like a pretentious child that thinks he/she "deserves" a break for their mistake. But aside from that, I would doubt anyone will take you seriously. Anyone can claim their "F" was a product of not withdrawing, instead of real failing. If you're going to beg your school for W's, I suggest you talk to the professors where you got an F in to write on your behalf that you really didn't turn in any work or took any test on or after the W deadline. If you did, you have lost all credibility, and honestly, you deserve your F.

I'm really bothered by the idea of some student that can't take off 1 second to drop the class online or even wonder why a "W" exists if they think an "F" is the same.

Wow harsh words. I never intended my post to convey that I am a "pretentious child" or that I am "deserving" of anything. If it did and I offended someone, I apologize. I'm sure the two above posts didn't intend to convey condescending egocentricity, either.

Please allow me to try to recover. I do not feel I deserve anything. Without going into too much detail about my past, just accept that I honestly did not feel I would be harmed by failing to withdraw from these courses, other than losing my money and the time I invested. I was under the impression that if I retook the course, my grade would be magically replaced by the higher grade for GPA purposes. In fact, my understanding is correct for my undergrad degree, but NOT for medical school. My institution holds that my current GPA is a 3.5. It's not affected by the "Fs" in question. I will admit that this reality is the major reason I feel this "F" vs. "W" dilemma is even being questioned. It is because different schools apparently follow different formats.

Nonetheless, I accept that it is certainly my fault and responsibility for failing to withdraw. Again, I did not feel it would harm me in my education. Call it immaturity, stupidity, lack of common sense, or whatever you want. The point is that I was genuine in my misunderstanding. I was not failing these classes when I stopped attending nor am I lying about the situation at hand in a malicious attempt to "beat the system".

Whatever the reason and magnitude, it was an honest mistake on my part and I am simply asking if there might be any flexibility since it will not impact the GPA recorded for my undergrad, but will impact the GPA for admittance into medical school. If there is such flexibility, awesome. If not, no biggie. After all, it was my fault and as I stated in my original post, if I have to spend extra time repairing my GPA, I will. :)

I ask that any further responses from readers please consider the fact that I am a person just like you, who does make mistakes. It doesn't make me a bad person, nor does it make me stupid. I do realize that I have made some poor choices and focusing on that and name calling was not the purpose of this thread. I realize it IS the internet which unfortunately does often evoke harsh responses through the veil of anonymity; however, I would hope for this understanding on a forum in the spirit of helping others.

TL;DR
Sorry if I came off in some sort of negative way in my original post as it was not my intention. I made an honest mistake, which is my own fault and I am simply asking if there's anything that might be done in my favor, since the fact is I had "As" in all classes when I stopped attending. If yes, great. If not, that's ok too. Thanks.

I have been known for being "too blunt" on these forums, so it might be from my end that I'm incorrectly interpreting what you said.

As for the rest, I completely understand YOU making a mistake. However, when I answered, I was replying how I'd see it in general terms. It's entirely possible (In fact, I'll take your word that it's true) that you made a genuine mistake. However, the situation is one that's easily exploitable by people that did NOT make a mistake and are now trying to mask their F's with an excuse.

I hope this clarifies things.

Sadly, those F's will never come off your transcript, no matter what you say or do. The only thing you can do is retake those courses. Luckily, DO schools will replace those F's with your retakes. However, MD schools won't replace those F's and count them along with your retakes. So, if you get all A's in your retakes, then your GPA balances from a 0.00 to a 2.00 with those eight classes combined. You should retake all F's and D's before applying to any DO schools. Just my opinion.

I've had luck with changing old grades to "O" 's. That's how they appear on my transcript now, not W or F or retakes, just O. These were 25 year old grades at three different institutions that had policies like 'if the student returns for 2 consec. semesters after a 5 year absence they are eligible to apply for academic forgiveness.'

In one case the individual classes were changed, in the other two I had to agree to wipe clean an entire semester. In one of those examples I had an A, a B, a D and 2 F's. All 5 grades were changed, but the classes remained on my transcripts. The credits no longer counted towards graduation or GPA. Check at your school for ReStart or FreshStart or Academic Forgiveness etc.

I don't know that it really changes that much. Folks are going to be able to see the classes still, but it made me feel better personally. And I'm not sure how AAMCAS or ACOMAS or CASPA will treat them. I have hopes that CASPA and ACOMAS at least are NOT going to factor the grade as there is now way to tell what it once was.

Good luck

Here's what happened to me...I had 1 F changed to a W on the grounds of a medical withdrawal so maybe if you were sick, you can get a doctor's note and change it but since you have 4 F's during different semesters, this might not work:/

I would write a note on your application saying why there are 4 F's...

Thanks for the advice so far. My grades are only a couple of years old, so I'm not sure they will fall into the category for the solution proposed above, but I will certainly check on it.

My lack of attendance was not for medical reasons, but I appreciate the suggestion.

I will check on the fresh start and also with a guidance counselor to see what, if anything can be done. I don't mind them showing on my transcripts. I am already going to have to explain quite a few "Ws" as it is, should I be so fortunate as to get an interview. I just figure if I can get them off and bump up my GPA, it will be helpful.