Chances of IIs this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorishd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my stats and experiences to hopefully get feedback from all of you re : chances of MD / DO acceptance for 2019. I did apply to AMCAS last cycle, was overconfident af :nono:, and got ZERO IIs. So obviously my plan is now be realistic and apply ~ 10 DO and 5 MDs (no idea what low-tier programs I'd even be eligible for):

3.6 GPA / 3.4 sGPA
505 MCAT (took 1x)
2 years post-grad biomed research
summer undergrad research
shadowing in 5+ specialties
tons of misc work exp's
2 yrs working in pharmacy
cna licensure
volunteer- peds, geriatrics, community outreach, etc
teaching asst in undergrad
study abroad- medical related program
musical hobbyist / modeling

I'd appreciate any and all feedback, thanks! Esp @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look a bit low for most MD schools, but you should be competitive at all DO schools. I recommend applying to more than 15 schools, though, especially as a reapplicant. You should apply broadly to DO schools and select MD schools. Tell us your state of residence and people like @Goro and @Faha can help you with a suggested school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to 10 that appeal to you. For MD I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my stats and experiences to hopefully get some feedback from all of you re : my chances of getting accepted to a MD / DO program for 2019. I did apply to AMCAS last cycle, was basically overconfident af :nono:, and got ZERO IIs. So obviously my plan is now to be realistic and apply to ~ 10 DO and 5 MDs (I have no idea what low-tier programs I'd even be eligible for!)

3.6 GPA / 3.4 sGPA
505 MCAT (took 1x)
tons of misc work exp's
cna licensure

I suggest:

U Toledo
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
VCU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
All SUNYs
Nova MD
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide

@Faha @Goro

Have either of you found certain DO programs inclined to surgical residencies (re : electives etc), or do they all pretty much have the same specialty match lists?

Thank you both!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my stats and experiences to hopefully get feedback from all of you re : chances of MD / DO acceptance for 2019. I did apply to AMCAS last cycle, was overconfident af :nono:, and got ZERO IIs. So obviously my plan is now be realistic and apply ~ 10 DO and 5 MDs (no idea what low-tier programs I'd even be eligible for):

3.6 GPA / 3.4 sGPA
505 MCAT (took 1x)
tons of misc work exp's
cna licensure

As said above, applying to 5 MD and 10 DO is just doing yourself a disservice. Use their school lists and apply to as many as you can

I suggest:

U Toledo
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
VCU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
All SUNYs
Nova MD
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide
OP this.

But I wouldn't apply to WCU either based solely on their attrition rate, low first time board passing rate, and low placement rate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user