Chances of making it into a DO school in the U.S. or outside the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BernzFerguson

Go Lakers!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, if anybody could please help me and give me their opinion on my chances of making into DO school for this Fall 2008 class, here is my info:
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 21Q
Extracurricular: Volunteered at hospital for about a year and a half, also research in Neuropsychological studies
Letters of Rec: probably standard quality
Are there any schools out there from anybody's recollection that would give me a shot?
Should I even bother applying? Or should I retake the MCAT (I'm not sure of how much better I can do on the test)?
Please HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, if anybody could please help me and give me their opinion on my chances of making into DO school for this Fall 2008 class, here is my info:
Extracurricular: Volunteered at hospital for about a year and a half, also research in Neuropsychological studies
Are there any schools out there from anybody's recollection that would give me a shot?
Should I even bother applying? Or should I retake the MCAT (I'm not sure of how much better I can do on the test)?
Please HELP

It's okay newbie ... however, please refer to the "what are my dubious chances ..." thread. All will be answered then.

Please HELP

I don't think there are DO schools outside the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are DO schools outside of the US, but they only teach manipulation.

My guess is the OP hasn't yet mastered the art of effective writing.
Folks, I think what we're looking at is one of those infamous "DO vs IMG" questions; not "US DO vs non-US DO".

I believe you are most correct!

So...
is it (Green Eggs) and Ham, or is it Green (Eggs and Ham)? :D

I believe we're dealing with one of those situations. :)

Please HELP

I believe you need to do a couple points better on the MCAT 2-5. Study hard and I'm sure you can pull yourself up a few points. If you do get a 23 or 24 the next time around you will still need to pump up that GPA. To do that take undergrad courses in a number of different fields at the lowest level possible many of those courses are easier and can help boost the GPA. With a 23 or 24 MCAT you will need a overall GPA somewhere in the 3.7's or 3.8's and a 3.5-3.6 science GPA. If you don't believe you could do any better than look into med-schools abroud. It is a good option if you don't mind relocating. The other option is Podiatry School. It has many specialties, you can prescribe medications, and make a decent living about 136,000 dollars. I hope you get into the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck: :luck: :luck: