Chances of matching grim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ophthophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.. i'm not new to SDN but using another name b/c some ppl would recognize me. Anyways, I'm kinda concerned if I could match into ophtho

Here's my profile

Cons
1. possible no honors in 3rd year grade, placing me into low-mid tier in school rank (i'm not done but i think I'll prob end up with all HP)
2. haven't impressed professors yet.. maybe hard to get good letters.. except for my PI and one ophtho letter

Pros
1. Top 5 medical school(according to US research rank)/ top ophtho department
2. 1 ARVO 1st author pub, 1 ophtho article 1st author waiting for acceptance
3. step 1 score: 238/99

Questions
1. Do u guys think I have a chance matching into ophtho?
2. should i take step 2 before applying?
3. how hard would it be to match in cali/NYC programs? (any program)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hi.. i'm not new to SDN but using another name b/c some ppl would recognize me. Anyways, I'm kinda concerned if I could match into ophtho

Here's my profile

Cons
1. possible no honors in 3rd year grade, placing me into low-mid tier in school rank (i'm not done but i think I'll prob end up with all HP)
2. haven't impressed professors yet.. maybe hard to get good letters.. except for my PI and one ophtho letter

Pros
1. Top 5 medical school(according to US research rank)/ top ophtho department
2. 1 ARVO 1st author pub, 1 ophtho article 1st author waiting for acceptance
3. step 1 score: 238/99

Questions
1. Do u guys think I have a chance matching into ophtho?
2. should i take step 2 before applying?
3. how hard would it be to match in cali/NYC programs? (any program)

Thank you

1. based on your pros i think you'll get a good number of interviews if you apply diversly. then it's up to you and how you interview
2. if you think you'll do better on step 2, then take it, if not don't.
3. i think you should get plenty of interviews in at least ny, i don't know much about the cali programs.

overall, if it's what you want to do, apply broadly and you should get a reasonable amount of interviews.

If you apply broadly, you should get a good number of interviews. I think the question is more about the quality of the programs that would invite you for interviews rather than whether you would get interviews at all, if you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what happened to this person? Already in a successful retina career?

Is it harder to get into ophthalmology now compared to then?

I assume you’re at HMS, Hopkins (or maybe UCSF) so yes, you’ll get interviews and should match. You might get lucky in that you’ll actually do best at places who will choose to remain blind next year to all Step 1 scores…which is the weakest part of your application, at least for ophtho. I think yes you’ll have to take Step 2 and you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.