Chances of matching if I'm restricted to H1b?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himalayan

Reaction score
My country might be restricting their issuance of J1 visas for the more IMG-friendly specialties (IM, FM, Pedia, etc.) starting 2024 (which is my planned match cycle or for 2025 if I'm gonna need more time to boost up my CV). This means I basically have no choice but to go for H1b or just give up altogether lol. I was wondering what the chances are of at the very least getting interviews if I just choose in ERAS that I am only looking for H1b. Will I get filtered out automatically by hospitals?

Anyone did the same and still got interviews? If it helps, I'm interested in Internal Medicine. By the time I apply for Match 2024, I might not have my Step 3 results yet. Would it help me considerably get more interviews if I'd have them before I submit my apps (this would mean that I would most likely opt for 2025 instead)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs only offer J visas, so if you state that you'll only accept H they will decline to interview you -- which makes total sense. So yes, limiting to just H visas will limit your options -- but there are plenty of programs that do offer H and hence won't care. S3 is usually required for an H visa for an IMG not training in the US, so not having it is likely going to be an issue. US visa policy could change at any time also.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs only offer J visas, so if you state that you'll only accept H they will decline to interview you -- which makes total sense. So yes, limiting to just H visas will limit your options -- but there are plenty of programs that do offer H and hence won't care. S3 is usually required for an H visa for an IMG not training in the US, so not having it is likely going to be an issue. US visa policy could change at any time also.
Thanks! Do you think hospitals offering J1 and H1 would filter out those who are just applying for H1? I heard hospitals prefer giving out J1 even if they do offer H1 as well (understandably so). I just want to be a bit more realistic as I don't think I'll have any choice when the time comes.

Also regarding S3, does it help significantly if I have the results already by the time I send in my app? Or just as long as I get it done before the match day on March?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
If hospitals offer both types, they probably won't care either way. Yes a J visa is much easier, but the work of getting the visa is usually not done by the program so they often don't care. And, offering H visas often gets you more competitive candidates.

As for S3, I don't know. At a minimum, I recommend having S3 before ranking because H visas take much longer to get and you can't start the process without S3 (except for non citizens who attended US medical schools). It would not surprise me if programs look for S3 to interview for those planning an H.

Depending on your status (IMG versus US-MD versus US-DO), you might have more leverage in restricting your applications to H1 only programs. If you are IMG however, as mentioned above, step 3 would be required (those who were educated in US can use OPT for their first year of residency and to complete step 3 then). You should also pay attention to the 6-year rule for H1 where by 5th year of H1 a definitive immigration plan should be secured to allow for renewal of H1b beyond 6th year. That means you would also run into problems with residencies that are more than 4-5 years or if you want to pursue fellowships (many fellowship programs do not sponsor H1).

If hospitals offer both types, they probably won't care either way. Yes a J visa is much easier, but the work of getting the visa is usually not done by the program so they often don't care. And, offering H visas often gets you more competitive candidates.

As for S3, I don't know. At a minimum, I recommend having S3 before ranking because H visas take much longer to get and you can't start the process without S3 (except for non citizens who attended US medical schools). It would not surprise me if programs look for S3 to interview for those planning an H.
Thank you so much for your input. This helps a lot!

Depending on your status (IMG versus US-MD versus US-DO), you might have more leverage in restricting your applications to H1 only programs. If you are IMG however, as mentioned above, step 3 would be required (those who were educated in US can use OPT for their first year of residency and to complete step 3 then). You should also pay attention to the 6-year rule for H1 where by 5th year of H1 a definitive immigration plan should be secured to allow for renewal of H1b beyond 6th year. That means you would also run into problems with residencies that are more than 4-5 years or if you want to pursue fellowships (many fellowship programs do not sponsor H1).
Thank you! I am probably at a disadvantage as I am a non-US IMG. But I hope looking for H1b and not just J1 won't at least hinder me from getting interviews.

Thank you! I am probably at a disadvantage as I am a non-US IMG. But I hope looking for H1b and not just J1 won't at least hinder me from getting interviews.
Limiting to H will absolutely limit your interview options. Many places are J visa only, especially if you start looking at more competitive fields or locations. Less competitive fields or places are more likely to offer H visas.

Limiting to H will absolutely limit your interview options. Many places are J visa only, especially if you start looking at more competitive fields or locations. Less competitive fields or places are more likely to offer H visas.
Right, thanks! I just really wanted to know the chances of at least getting a shot at an interview. I don't think I'll have a choice due to our country's restrictions sadly. Thank you again for the insight!