Chances of matching into General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgerysurgeryletsgo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current MS3 at a mid tier school in the NE
Step1: mid-high 230s
Step2: Will take in June, currently studying and scoring 260s on NBMEs --
Clerkships: Honor (Peds), and the rest is all HP
Research: one 1st author non-surgical publication
Extracurricular: A healthy mix of stuff...I don't have any surgery specific experience on my CV, not sure if that is a red flag... I was considering other specialties, before settling on surgery.

Considering I score 260+ on CK, how competitive am I for top programs? I don't have a geographical preference.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current MS3 at a mid tier school in the NE
Step1: mid-high 230s
Step2: Will take in June, currently studying and scoring 260s on NBMEs --
Clerkships: Honor (Peds), and the rest is all HP
Research: one 1st author non-surgical publication
Extracurricular: A healthy mix of stuff...I don't have any surgery specific experience on my CV, not sure if that is a red flag... I was considering other specialties, before settling on surgery.

Considering I score 260+ on CK, how competitive am I for top programs? I don't have a geographical preference.

What do you mean by " top programs??" What is your career interest at this point.

Probably can rule out a handful of academic powerhouses without AOA and research; but most places are still in play.

What do you mean by " top programs??" What is your career interest at this point.

Probably can rule out a handful of academic powerhouses without AOA and research; but most places are still in play.
I'm interested in bariatrics, in terms of fellowship placement. But I have a research interest in surgical education, that's how I became interested in surgery.

Top as per Doximity (I know it's not the end all be all, but just as a crude measure of competitiveness) UTSW, Baylor, NW, Chicago, academic programs in NYC and Philadelphia.

If you have any suggestions about programs that I should consider, I would be appreciative

Members don't see this ad :)
Not very competitive for "top" programs for the reasons listed above. In fact, your interests don't align with a lot of these programs will have you do - 2 years of basic science research.

Plenty of university programs will give you a look/interview. There's no reason you need to be at a top program to do research in surgical education or get an MIS fellowship with bariatrics. Apply broadly and go on the interviews you get.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Not very competitive for "top" programs for the reasons listed above. In fact, your interests don't align with a lot of these programs will have you do - 2 years of basic science research.

Plenty of university programs will give you a look/interview. There's no reason you need to be at a top program to do research in surgical education or get an MIS fellowship with bariatrics. Apply broadly and go on the interviews you get.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Without meaning to be a downer, your board score is below what's expected for those types of programs, not AOA, you didn't honor your surgery clerkship, and you have no surgical research to speak of...

Which good university programs do you have in mind that might give me a look ?
My research was on immunology, so I have no problem continuing that trajectory and applying it to some of the topics within surgery, if I ended up at a program where basic science research is required.

I'm in the process of jumping on some ongoing projects, I doubt they will amount to publications prior to ERAS deadline, but it's better than sitting on my behind.

Which good university programs do you have in mind that might give me a look ?
My research was on immunology, so I have no problem continuing that trajectory and applying it to some of the topics within surgery, if I ended up at a program where basic science research is required.

I'm in the process of jumping on some ongoing projects, I doubt they will amount to publications prior to ERAS deadline, but it's better than sitting on my behind.

That's not the point. One doesn't do research because it's "required"... one does research because of a true interest. With your interest in bariatrics and surgical education, you don't have any reason to engage in basic science research.

What school do you attend? Probably your best chance.

That's not the point. One doesn't do research because it's "required"... one does research because of a true interest. With your interest in bariatrics and surgical education, you don't have any reason to engage in basic science research.

What school do you attend? Probably your best chance.
I get your point. What I meant to say is that although I have an interest in surgical education and perhaps bariatrics, I have other interest as well that I see myself exploring. Frankly, there is a good chance that I might end up pursuing something other than bariatrics.

I know that there are a lot of surgery programs with great training. I understand that I'm not that competitive, I'm trying to get a sense of the programs that I shoot for. I go to one of the Boston schools. I'm trying to leave Boston.