Chances of matching into psych with comlex only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunicaexterna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m a third year waiting for my comlex score. We had a short dedicated period and I didn’t feel comfortable taking the usmle.....So I only have comlex.

If someone gets a comlex score of 500-600, what are the odds they could match SOMEWHERE?

I’m not gunning for big name programs. I would like to stay in the Midwest but I’m also willing to negotiate that.

My school told me that having the usmle isn’t a priority at many programs (emphasis is placed upon interest in the field) but I’m not sure how true that is.

I’m a pretty average student (50th percentile), I have fairly extensive research and I have shown interest in psych via student activities over the first 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are probably fine. I matched into psych with only comlex and barely passed. I took time off during med school to care for a relative and did the extended curriculum program to care for a relative, I took a year off after med school to care for my relative . I got my #3 choice if I recall correctly. Bottom line I had a lot of red flags and I matched.

Reactions: 2 users
You are probably fine. I matched into psych with only comlex and barely passed. I took time off during med school to care for a relative and did the extended curriculum program to care for a relative, I took a year off after med school to care for my relative . I got my #3 choice if I recall correctly. Bottom line I had a lot of red flags and I matched.

In which year's cycle did you match? What in your app do you think helped you the most?Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In which year's cycle did you match? What in your app do you think helped you the most?Thanks a lot.
I matched in 2011. I had amazing LORS and a great personal statement. The rest of my application was a red flag. I interviewed well. I picked places I didn't want to interview first as practice. I went to the dinner the night before read up on the programs and could say why were a good fit.

I also matched psych with COMLEX only. Matched in 2018 to my first choice academic program.

Imo Step scores help, but are not a deal-breaker for matching into the field. This may change in the near future, but this year plenty of people matched somewhere with just COMLEX. I think more important than boards are your LORs and attending evals during clinical rotations. Strong boards are great, but no one is going to want to touch you if you've got red flags in your LORs or Dean's Letter.

Reactions: 2 users