Chances of matching next year for Match 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownSpice630

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of matching into internal or family medicine programs?

Hey, just to give some info about me: I'm a 4th year US grad from the southeast starting an MPH program this summer/fall. I passed step 1 on second attempt, but failed step 2 CK twice, and failed step 2 CS once.

Step 1: 186
Step 1: 191 (2nd attempt-pass)
Step 2 CK: 196
Step 2 CK: 199
Step 2 CS: fail

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of matching into internal or family medicine programs?

Hey, just to give some info about me: I'm a 4th year US grad from the southeast starting an MPH program this summer/fall. I passed step 1 on second attempt, but failed step 2 CK twice, and failed step 2 CS once.

Step 1: 186
Step 1: 191 (2nd attempt-pass)
Step 2 CK: 196
Step 2 CK: 199
Step 2 CS: fail
You should post that in the FM/IM residency forum...

You should post that in the FM/IM residency forum...

Any US grad that has a pulse can match into family med someway or another as long as they've passed Step. Where is another matter of course. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any US grad that has a pulse can match into family med someway or another as long as they've passed Step. Where is another matter of course. Good luck!
I was not the one who asked the question... not sure why you quote me... I think FM/psych is a possibility. IM maybe. Since OP is a US grad, he/she will match somewhere. However, OP should be willing to go anywhere...

I'm just concerned because I know of some US grads that ended up doing the SOAP and they had good stats

I'm just concerned because I know of some US grads that ended up doing the SOAP and they had good stats
How many programs did they apply to? how many programs they ranked? Did they apply FM or psych or IM? Were they top university programs? community programs? From most account, it is not difficult for a US grad to match into these specialties... In your case, you should look into programs that cater mostly to IMG... If you do that, you should match somewhere...Apply to 100 programs and go to all interviews and rank them all...

I am attending a low tier US school and I know someone who has the same step 1 score with you (albeit 1st attempt) and he matched into a good university IM program in NY.

Not sure about the details about them. But I actually applied to the Match this year and had to drop out bc of my CK results. I applied to programs mostly along the southeast and very few up north for a total of 68 programs (47 IM and 21 FM). I had 3 Internal Med interviews and 2 Family Med interviews before I dropped out. I'm currently enrolled in an MD/MPH program to hopefully strengthen my application.

Not sure about the details about them. But I actually applied to the Match this year and had to drop out bc of my CK results. I applied to programs mostly along the southeast and very few up north for a total of 68 programs (47 IM and 21 FM). I had 3 Internal Med interviews and 2 Family Med interviews before I dropped out. I'm currently enrolled in an MD/MPH program to hopefully strengthen my application.
If I were you, I would choose either IM or FM, not both... That is just me... Like I said, look at programs that cater to IMG. I think you did a good thing withdrawing to due your score... You should definitely apply more than 67 programs IMO.

If I were you, I would choose either IM or FM, not both... That is just me... Like I said, look at programs that cater to IMG. I think you did a good thing withdrawing to due your score... You should definitely apply more than 67 programs IMO.

Yep, I may just apply to Internal Medicine next year since I realized family medicine wasn't as easy as everyone thinks it is to get interviews. I ended up getting more IM interviews (all university-based programs) than FM ones anyways.

Yep, I may just apply to Internal Medicine next year since I realized family medicine wasn't as easy as everyone thinks it is to get interviews. I ended up getting more IM interviews (all university-based programs) than FM ones anyways.
I would do the same as well... I wish you the best of luck! I think you should be ok if you apply strategically...