Chances of Matching (Re-applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewMD86

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

Long-time reader. First time poster.

Based on the number of interviews attended and my ROL, this might seem like a "dumb" question (continue reading). However, just wanted to throw it out there.

First some background: AMG, allopathic, graduated in May 2016, did not Match, currently attaining an MPH. I'm assuming solid LORs, great track record of community service all throughout medical school with leadership positions held. Step 1 failed on first attempt (passed on second attempt with close to a 200), CK 215 on first attempt, CS pass on first attempt.

This cycle: applying to two specialties both of which are categorical. Have had 24 interviews, attended all, will rank all. Needless to say huge financial burden and tiresome...but gotta do what you gotta do. 14 in one, 1o in the other. Feel very comfortable that I have improved whatever I could control to maximize my chances of Matching including interviewing skills (and answering the obvious tough questions about my application red flags).

If I was a US Senior, the chances of matching question would be a no brainer given the number of interviews and ranks, despite the red flags (at least I think). But, obviously, my situation is different. So here goes..."What are my chances of Matching?"

Thanks so much. Really enjoy reading the forums. A lot of useful info!

Members don't see this ad.

#1 question: which are the two specialties. Your answer will be radically different if they are IM and psych vs anesthesia and EM.

#1 question: which are the two specialties. Your answer will be radically different if they are IM and psych vs anesthesia and EM.
FM and Peds. So primary care.

I think you know the answer already. The answer is: You'll probably match with that many interviews, there is no way to really know, and there isn't much you can do about it now. I understand that you're worried given what happened last year. How many interviews / ranks did you have last year?

Last year I interviewed for Peds. I had 10 interviews. However, three of those programs had primary care tracks which I also interviewed for. So I ranked 13 in total.

Last year, in addition, I didn't really have a good mix of academic and community programs. This year I do. Both for pediatrics and for family medicine.

I think you know the answer already. The answer is: You'll probably match with that many interviews, there is no way to really know, and there isn't much you can do about it now. I understand that you're worried given what happened last year. How many interviews / ranks did you have last year?

And many thanks for your response. Forgot to mention that in my reply above!

24 interviews. I'm going to throw it out there, that based on statistics that NRMP releases, you're at a 99% match rate. Congrats in advance! :D

24 interviews. I'm going to throw it out there, that based on statistics that NRMP releases, you're at a 99% match rate. Congrats in advance! :D

Thanks! Cautiously optimistic yet still nervous...I guess my fears stem from being a re-applicant and the statistics surrounding that. This year, though, "feels different" and in a good way. You just never know with The Match. But definitely feeling better.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Cautiously optimistic yet still nervous...I guess my fears stem from being a re-applicant and the statistics surrounding that. This year, though, "feels different" and in a good way. You just never know with The Match. But definitely feeling better.
Based on the root-cause analysis that you and your dean (obviously, because why wouldn't you?) went through last year after you failed to match (in the specialty you re-applied to this year), what was the primary cause for not matching and how did you mitigate that in your application/interviews this year?

I would like to say that my dean and I knew the exact cause. But. We really don't know.

Applied to 100+ programs - again, ranked 13. Also, last year, I had a lot of academic programs and really no community ones that I interviewed at - maybe I just was not high enough on those programs' lists (well all the programs I ranked since since I did not match). I might have not explained my Step 1 failure as well (attributed it to personal reasons which, in part, played a role - younger brother passed away from cancer during M1; the other reason why I didn't pass which I did not allude to in my interviews was more so not having done as much Qbank and understanding "how " to take the test). This year, I state why I did not pass it, what I did differently to study to set myself up for success in it and future exams, and what I learned both professionally and personally about myself. Short and sweet. Move on to next question.

Maybe these were the reasons why? Again, the part I DO have control over (besides the ROL and how I set it up) is the interview. Going in confident, saying what I mean and meaning what I say, and portraying who I am as a physician, as a potential resident, and as a person.

Last edited:
Of course you don't know the "exact" cause, but an RCA (or at least a 10 minute conversation) would give you the insight you need(ed) and it appears that you have done so.

There are no useful data to help you figure out your chances in this case but you're in as good a spot as you can be at this point. Good luck.

Of course you don't know the "exact" cause, but an RCA (or at least a 10 minute conversation) would give you the insight you need(ed) and it appears that you have done so.

There are no useful data to help you figure out your chances in this case but you're in as good a spot as you can be at this point. Good luck.

Many thanks. Again, hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic.