Chances of Matching US MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectzero

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
step 1: 249
mostly high pass on rotations with few honors
research m1/m2 summer
failed 1 block M1 year

What are my chances at matching into a top 30 anesthesia residency? Will my first year failure affect me extremely negatively?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Northwestern, UChicago, NYU, Vanderbilt, Baylor, UMiami, Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about that one. did fail 1 course. some programs might use that as a filter.. not sure though. but my guess is you will match at a good program.. unless you bomb interviews

Appreciate the responses. Would anybody else be able to offer their thoughts as well? Trying to look for a consensus. Thanks.

aside from the failure, your app is strong enough to get interviews and therefore match at a good program. unless theres someone else who failed or know someone who failed a class and applied, prob not much info can be gotten. at this point since the F is already there, apply and see what happens haha

Reactions: 1 user
Don't f up step 2. But that may be a decision that you'll have to make. When to take it that is the question.
If you didn't have the F, could hurt, at this point anybody's guess.
But top 30? You'll have interviews with 249..... you've proven you can do standardized exams.

I would do your best to go to every interview you get. Although I ended up at a program I am happy to be a part of, it wasn't my top choice. My Step 1 was 251; Step 2 248. Great letters of rec. Unfortunately was the only person in my class to get two "C's" during 3rd year clerkships, and forced me into the lowest class ranking. Got a lot of interviews, but apparently when it came down to it, when each programs' algorithm comes into play, enough people were ranked higher.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately was the only person in my class to get two "C's" during 3rd year clerkships, and forced me into the lowest class ranking. Got a lot of interviews, but apparently when it came down to it, when each programs' algorithm comes into play, enough people were ranked higher.

I stunk the place up third year and matched into what I would conservatively call a top 15 program.

Have heard similar things from other people who applied from reputable schools.

It amuses me that physicians would think that going to a "top medical school" or "top residency" really matters in the big scheme of things. Only if a person pursues academics does it make a hill of beans worth of difference.

It amuses me that physicians would think that going to a "top medical school" or "top residency" really matters in the big scheme of things. Only if a person pursues academics does it make a hill of beans worth of difference.

It can help secure a fellowship position and these days fellowships in certain areas/hospitals are competitive. But, if your goal is to practice in a community setting then most of the time it doesn't matter a whole lot. The problem is how do you know for certain where and what type of practice you want to join? So, a top residency and a top fellowship leaves ALL OPTIONS on the table.

There are academic jobs out there where the salary after 3 years exceeds the standard AMC package. IMHO, a good academic job is vastly superior to humping it out for an AMC.

Reactions: 4 users