Chances of matching with red flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krukenberg713

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall! Looking for some advice in matching into FM with some serious red flags. I had to remediate my first year of medical school and 2 courses during my second year and took a LOA after finishing second year due to personal problems. I have been working a 50 hours a week since I started medical school to support my family as my parents lost their small business that they had and being extremely uneducated foreign immigrants it was very hard for them to find any jobs. I thus had to work to literally keep the lights on, put food on the table, and help my brother with college expenses. I tried my best to manage school and work and had a some slip ups along the way( preclinical course failures) but this has only made me work harder and have not lost my passion to become a physician. By the time i graduate I will have been in medical school for 7 years. I was wondering if I have any shot at getting into a FM residency with a decent Step 1, good third year evals, and a decent step 2? I will happily go anywhere in the US to practice medicine as it is the only thing I can see myself doing. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall! Looking for some advice in matching into FM with some serious red flags. I had to remediate my first year of medical school and 2 courses during my second year and took a LOA after finishing second year due to personal problems. I have been working a 50 hours a week since I started medical school to support my family as my parents lost their small business that they had and being extremely uneducated foreign immigrants it was very hard for them to find any jobs. I thus had to work to literally keep the lights on, put food on the table, and help my brother with college expenses. I tried my best to manage school and work and had a some slip ups along the way( preclinical course failures) but this has only made me work harder and have not lost my passion to become a physician. By the time i graduate I will have been in medical school for 7 years. I was wondering if I have any shot at getting into a FM residency with a decent Step 1, good third year evals, and a decent step 2? I will happily go anywhere in the US to practice medicine as it is the only thing I can see myself doing. Thanks in advance for any advice!

While it's admirable that you want to help your family, but when you are in medical school, that is your job. Your brother can get college loans and get a job to help with expenses. Your family really should not rely on you for everything. As you can tell this hurt your work in medical school.

As for your chances, are you in a US based school? If so, you have a reasonable chance even with these issues. FM is probably more likely to be understanding about these issues compared to many fields. As long as you apply widely, you have a chance to match.

Reactions: 2 users
While it's admirable that you want to help your family, but when you are in medical school, that is your job. Your brother can get college loans and get a job to help with expenses. Your family really should not rely on you for everything. As you can tell this hurt your work in medical school.

As for your chances, are you in a US based school? If so, you have a reasonable chance even with these issues. FM is probably more likely to be understanding about these issues compared to many fields. As long as you apply widely, you have a chance to match.

Yes, in a US MD school. I realize now that it was an absolutely terrible idea but at the time I felt like I could not let my family down. I just hope that I will be able to explain this to program directors and will definitely strive to do well the rest of the way. Thank you very much for the advice!

Really? Study plan help! "I am a Caribbean US IMG."

If you are an IMG, you're in a rough spot unless you really do well on Step 1.

I am an US MD and thought I would be dismissed from school and would maybe have to go carribean route but I thankfully got another chance so I that was me worrying about something that could have happened and viewing it from that perspective.

I am an US MD and thought I would be dismissed from school and would maybe have to go carribean route but I thankfully got another chance so I that was me worrying about something that could have happened and viewing it from that perspective.

You didn't write that post as if you were considering a move to the islands...

I also don't really know any US schools that finish basic sciences in December except maybe Duke.

Reactions: 1 user
You didn't write that post as if you were considering a move to the islands...

I also don't really know any US schools that finish basic sciences in December except maybe Duke.

UVA. I think Vanderbilt. A number of schools have moved to an 18 month pre-clinical curriculum.

upload_2018-4-10_16-12-4.png

If you want useful advice, then stop lying about your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 231776

If you want useful advice, then stop lying about your situation.

By the time I remediated the courses that I needed to and was officially put on leave of absence it was December of 2017. I am sorry for any confusion that this may have causes as I was not as specific. My schools committee met recently to determine whether they would allow me to return after the leave and just told me the process of me returning which was that I was granted the year off and would be reinstated in school if I pass step 1. I had no intention of lying and should have been clearer in my description. When I did post that I was in contact with Caribbean schools about possible transferring and just weighing the process from that viewpoint. Again I apologize and would definitely appreciate any advice if anybody is willing. Thanks!

By the time I remediated the courses that I needed to and was officially put on leave of absence it was December of 2017. I am sorry for any confusion that this may have causes as I was not as specific. My schools committee met recently to determine whether they would allow me to return after the leave and just told me the process of me returning which was that I was granted the year off and would be reinstated in school if I pass step 1. I had no intention of lying and should have been clearer in my description. When I did post that I was in contact with Caribbean schools about possible transferring and just weighing the process from that viewpoint. Again I apologize and would definitely appreciate any advice if anybody is willing. Thanks!

So you were lying in that post, but you're not lying now?

Reactions: 1 users
What you're really looking for here is an answer to your question: can I match with red flags? Maybe, probably, but who really knows. The point is this: how random people on the internet answer this question shouldn't affect the decision to bust your ass between now and then. So just go forth and bust your ass.

Can you tell program directors that the personal issues that kept you from being successful in med school are not going to be a factor in residency?

If you are a US MD, then I would not worry too much about this time off issue as long as you do well on the USMLEs. But you will need to address it in your personal statement and be able to assure PDs that these personal issues won't be a problem in residency.

Can you please explain why I and others shouldn't report you for TOS violations????

Can you please explain why I and others shouldn't report you for TOS violations????
I mean, I'm right here... Only the OP knows the real story, it's not the MOST outlandish story I've ever heard. People can decide for themselves what they believe and offer advice accordingly.