Chances of Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resident12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who went to a Caribbean school. I would like to know what are my chances of getting into a psychiatry residency. I'm a US citizen. I got a 200 on step 1, 236 on step 2 and pass on CS all on first attempt. I will be ECFMG certified by September. Right now, I am doing biochem/micro research and doing an externship with a FM doctor. I should get a publication within a few months. I am applying this year, mostly in the midwest programs. Do I have a good chance of matching?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying broadly enough, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick reply.
By applying "broadly" do you mean the "not top programs" or apply to most of the states. About how many programs should I aim to apply to?

I have done all my rotations in the states. I have done my core psych rotation and 3 elective psych rotations. I also have 3 LOR from US psych Dr's.

Thank you!

Thank you for the quick reply.
By applying "broadly" do you mean the "not top programs" or apply to most of the states. About how many programs should I aim to apply to?

I have done all my rotations in the states. I have done my core psych rotation and 3 elective psych rotations. I also have 3 LOR from US psych Dr's.

Thank you!

:thumbup: That will definitely help.

I am an IMG who went to a Caribbean school. I would like to know what are my chances of getting into a psychiatry residency. I'm a US citizen. I got a 200 on step 1, 236 on step 2 and pass on CS all on first attempt. I will be ECFMG certified by September. Right now, I am doing biochem/micro research and doing an externship with a FM doctor. I should get a publication within a few months. I am applying this year, mostly in the midwest programs. Do I have a good chance of matching?

Thank you.

As long as you apply early and broadly, you should do fine.

apply to nymc. you'll get in.

By applying "broadly" do you mean the "not top programs" or apply to most of the states.
No, by broadly, I mean broadly. Apply to some programs you think are out of reach but would love to attend. Also apply to many that you think you're well suited for. Also apply to a bunch that you've heard are extremely non-competitive.

A big chunk of psych applicants are either IMGs or FMGs. Many of them have low Step 1's. You have done a lot of work showing a legitimate interest in psych and have LORs. Now it's just a numbers game. Apply to more programs than you think you need to, because it's not expensive and you do not want to scramble (or whatever they call it now).

...and you do not want to scramble (or whatever they call it now).

It's now the "SOAP." :sleep:

Yes, if you apply to a good variety of programs, you should be fine. Look at programs' lists of current residents, and definitely apply places that have at least one Caribbean grad per class (if you can identify, many programs list where their residents went to medical school). If you want to get REALLY stalker-ish, you could look them up on their state licensure website and see where they went to school if it's not listed...but that's probably not really necessary.

Also apply to some solid programs in less desirable locations. I really, really liked U Iowa, Med Coll. Wisconsin, U Kentucky, U Indiana, West Va. U...for example. These tend to be non-coastal cities, often with cold weather. But the programs are great, and many of the cities were actually pretty cool.

The place I would definitely check out that might even be aiming too low would include East Carolina, Hershey, Carilion (Roanoke, Va).

Thank you.

as long as you apply to a large enough number of programs, you have a 100% chance of matching

Apply to as many programs as you can afford to travel to.