Chances of MD admission w/out Undergrad degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliziry

Je suis le Roi de Rein
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On almost all of the med schools websites it says that they only require 90 credit hours but prefer candidates with degrees. Does anyone know anyone who got in without a degree or if they really think badly about it. Asking since I will have 120 hours by next spring but not a degree. Long story.

Members don't see this ad.

2 of my friends did last year. One had a ~3.86 overall gpa and the other ~3.92. The first is getting Bs and Cs while the other is getting As. However, they are both very glad that they did that. But I'd feel nervous doing that because what if something happens and you drop out of med school? You won't have any degree to fall back on.

Members don't see this ad :)
aliziry said:
On almost all of the med schools websites it says that they only require 90 credit hours but prefer candidates with degrees. Does anyone know anyone who got in without a degree or if they really think badly about it. Asking since I will have 120 hours by next spring but not a degree. Long story.

i know a guy who did that and went to baylor. im unsure of how well hes doing there, but hes a bright guy and i bet hes fine.

other than that, i think it is very unlikely to get in without your degree. the process is already incredibly competitive, and not having your degree weakens your application. if it is between a student w/o their degree and a student with their degree applying for the second time...its probably not too hard to decide who will be accepted, just on the basis of being persistent, older, and probably more mature. and that may not be fair, but thats what the adcoms look at. if i were you, i would stick it out until you finish your degree.

Original Poster,

I'm done the same thing you're doing, applying having just completed my second year of college, and am writing the MCAT this summer.

Dr.Andrews said:
Original Poster,

I'm done the same thing you're doing, applying having just completed my second year of college, and am writing the MCAT this summer.

Good luck. Hopefully they wont hold it against us much.

aliziry said:

Hmmm...I wouldn't say "almost all" schools allow you to matriculate without a bachelors degree...I think all but one of the schools I was accepted to requested I send a final transcript confirming the conferral of my degree...I know Mayo insists you graduate. That said I'm sure there are plenty of schools that don't care, but I do think if you do the bare minimum you will be at a significant disadvantage...there is just something to be said about having the degree and all the experiences that come with it.

snobored18 said:
Hmmm...I wouldn't say "almost all" schools allow you to matriculate without a bachelors degree...I think all but one of the schools I was accepted to requested I send a final transcript confirming the conferral of my degree...I know Mayo insists you graduate. That said I'm sure there are plenty of schools that don't care, but I do think if you do the bare minimum you will be at a significant disadvantage...there is just something to be said about having the degree and all the experiences that come with it.

Yeah I know why they want it but the only reason I wont have it is because my school requires that I take 39 hours of 3000+ courses. Since I had to take an unexpected semester off this puts me behind. About the schools I checked alot the websites of the schools I plan on applying and almost all just say 90 hours.

BlackBantie said:
2 of my friends did last year. One had a ~3.86 overall gpa and the other ~3.92. The first is getting Bs and Cs while the other is getting As. However, they are both very glad that they did that. But I'd feel nervous doing that because what if something happens and you drop out of med school? You won't have any degree to fall back on.
I know some people who went early to dental and pharm schools. They left undergrad after 3 years. Part of me was jealous that they got to start early, but then I realized that you can never predict what might happen. If something comes up (something in the family, financial trouble, etc), neither has a degree to fall back on. I'm glad I took my 4 years...I got to take some classes just for the hell of it Senior year, and I have my BS so if something happens I can...go work as a lab tech? Teach Chemistry or Bio at my Catholic high school? Not the most lucrative careers, but they are still there if need be, plus I could still go to grad school.
Besides, I would have missed out on a lot personally, socially, and academically if I had started med school early. People are barely ready for med school after 4 years of college; I don't really think anyone should start after 2. I got accepted as a soph (Early Assurance), and my career and personal goals have changed quite a bit since I got that letter.

I had the same mentality when I was an undergrad and wanted to start medschool asap. However I didn't do so hot on mcat 1st try and had to take it again so I got to finish undergrad 4 years. I am so glad that happened as I had more fun in my senior year than all other college years combined. I had pretty easy courseload and the grades weren't going to matter so I got to hang out w/ friends, socialize, watch sports, etc. Now that I am in medschool and look back at my past experiences, my senior year is what sticks out in my mind. I highly recommend finishing undergrad, it might be better for you personality wise.

chintu said:
I had the same mentality when I was an undergrad and wanted to start medschool asap. However I didn't do so hot on mcat 1st try and had to take it again so I got to finish undergrad 4 years. I am so glad that happened as I had more fun in my senior year than all other college years combined. I had pretty easy courseload and the grades weren't going to matter so I got to hang out w/ friends, socialize, watch sports, etc. Now that I am in medschool and look back at my past experiences, my senior year is what sticks out in my mind. I highly recommend finishing undergrad, it might be better for you personality wise.

It is not like im leaving early. I should have started college in fall 2002 but I had to work. I started the next year and was on track to graduate in spring 2007 but since I had to take a semester off I cant make my schools 39 hour 3000 level requirement. I will still have spent 4 years and still have 120 credits.