Chances of obtaining Post-Doc in Neuropsych w/o completing an internship with a neuropsych focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronerd423

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to check out my post. I am currently making my way through the whole phase II of internship rankings, needless to say obtaining a internship with a focus in neuropsych has been very difficult for me. It is looking more likely that I will complete an internship with more of a focus on therapy and little chance for neuro experience. I'm just curious to know if I have a chance for obtaining a neuropsych post-doc if my internship doesn't have that focus or experience? I have a pretty heavy neuro background, but I don't know if that will help without the internship. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

With a neuro heavy background, at good prac sites with good letters of rec from good neuropsychologists, not a deal breaker at all. Without those things it could be a problem, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Without prior experience (classes, supervision, etc) it would be a problem. If you have that experience and go to a generalist internship...it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Sites understand that the internship process isn't perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with others. If you don't have multiple neuro practicums with solid LORs, then it will be tough to get a postdoc. If you have a lot of prior neuro training, then it should be okay, but hopefully you can get a little neuro on internship too.

I know a number of neuro folks out in this post-doc rotation. About half of them did neuro-focused internships. The other half did generalist internships. All ended at very solid post-doc placements. The generalist definitely had neuro rotations and that was an important part for them landing their post-docs as they didn't have the same depth of neuro training beforehand.

I know a number of neuro folks out in this post-doc rotation. About half of them did neuro-focused internships. The other half did generalist internships. All ended at very solid post-doc placements. The generalist definitely had neuro rotations and that was an important part for them landing their post-docs as they didn't have the same depth of neuro training beforehand.
How much depth (e.g. number of placements, overall time at neuro placements, # of assessment hours, # of integrated reports, etc.) are we talking about in terms of neuro externship placements if they didn't have neuro internships?

How much depth (e.g. number of placements, overall time at neuro placements, # of assessment hours, # of integrated reports, etc.) are we talking about in terms of neuro externship placements if they didn't have neuro internships?
Not a lot. I couldn't speak to any of the details. Their post-doc placements were ranged between competitive and top-tier competitive.

What's your sense of why it was difficult to secure a neuropsych internship?

If you're not involved in neuropsych clinically, you can still be involved in other ways. Can you publish neuro research with grad school or other data? Are you involved in neuropsych organizations? Go to NAN, it's before INS. Make connections with faculty and other students to the extent you can. It's important to have a presence. When I was navigating the post-doc process, senior colleagues were incredibly helpful. Multiple folks offered to review my materials and put in good words, and I know I wasn't special in this regard. Utilize these resources as much as you can.

What's your sense of why it was difficult to secure a neuropsych internship?

If you're not involved in neuropsych clinically, you can still be involved in other ways. Can you publish neuro research with grad school or other data? Are you involved in neuropsych organizations? Go to NAN, it's before INS. Make connections with faculty and other students to the extent you can. It's important to have a presence. When I was navigating the post-doc process, senior colleagues were incredibly helpful. Multiple folks offered to review my materials and put in good words, and I know I wasn't special in this regard. Utilize these resources as much as you can.

Thanks for responding Kadhir! I think it was difficult to obtain a neuropsych internship because of two factors, 1) As neuropsych has become more popular, the positions are very competitive; and 2) I come from a very small school (Psy.D) right outside of Philadelphia, and I am not convinced it has established enough recognition for many sites to consider taking applicants from our school. I could be completely wrong but that is my overall hypothesis. I am going to still be able to publish papers through my place of employment, that focuses in neuropsychological assessment, during my internship this coming July. I really appreciate your feedback about attending INS and NAN, that is a really good idea about going and just getting my name out there. Thanks for your feedback!!

Thanks for your feedback everyone! This has been such a crazy process and it is definitely reassuring that I can still have a shot at a neuropsych post-doc with a generalist internship. I put a lot of time and effort in to focusing on neuropsych for the duration of my doctoral program and I'm happy that the dream/possibility of becoming a neuropsychologist is still in play.