Chances of Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmSchool??????

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm in my senior year and last semester. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa (3.8+) and no PCAT. I recently started thinking about doing pharmacy. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. A year ago in cell biology I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into pharmacy school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation and what pharmacy schools in the midwest I would have a chance at. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will have a "tell us anything you want" essay. Since those are usually for bad grades and you have an excellent gpa, you can write it there. you can discuss it in the interview as well. As far as your chances, it depends on the strength of the applying class but it should be fine with your stats.

Any other suggestions or advice? I'm going to graduating this May with a degree in Biology and a gpa of about 3.9
Don't have really any pharmacy extracurriculars other than general volunteering in the community.

Members don't see this ad :)
take the PCAT or get a pharm tech job then you'll be gucci

Before taking out the loans, check for job outlook too if your first goal after graduate is paying off the loan.

Reactions: 1 user
Why pharm? Why not do med school? Better job outlook, that's for sure

Reactions: 1 user
Do I have a decent shot even with my academic misconduct? I had some accidental plagiarism on some homework.