Chances? Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for privacy reasons

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know how specific ADCOMS get, but looking at a transcript where prerequisites are mostly C's and B's with only one A doesn't seem that encouraging. I think a semester or 2 of retakes should be more than enough to put you over the top (GPA wise) and become competitive at any DO campus you apply to.

I see limited clinical volunteering or shadowing, which would be most concerning of all.

And most schools have a max of 6 letters of rec. 2 from science and 1 from non-science are typically required. 1 from a DO is preferable, if not required, too.

I appreciate the advice and encouragement! :) I'm looking into retaking Orgo 1 & 2, as well as Genetics over the summer. I'll also continue shadowing the DO and get that LOR before June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic retake is a must. DO are getting much more selective every year. Add some upper levels too.

I don't think the problem is necessarily GPA, it's more ECs. you have no clinical experience, research, shadowing, or volunteering or did I read that wrong? I think with good ECs you would get in due to the fact your mcat is spot on average, your cumulative gpa is roughly average and your science gpa is a little low. But if you have no ECs that show you really want to do med school then that could be a red flag.

oh wait, your post confused me. you do have more ecs; DO shadowing, hospital volunteering, and research. Your ECs don't look near as bad as I thought then. I say apply I think you have a decent shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, sorry about that. I edited my post to make it less confusing. I'm glad there aren't discrepancies among the advice you guys are giving me, I'll work on improving that science GPA, thanks a bunch! :)

This is just my opinion but I think you'll get in somewhere. Apply broadly and early. Your stats aren't bad at all, your science gpa is just a little low but im in the same boat as you. Keep in mind average means people with higher/lower stats get in. The people with the lower stats are the ones that apply early, smart, and have good ecs or mcat.

I'll definitely apply early, but I suppose I'll retake just in case. Worst case scenario, I'll get accepted somewhere before I receive my new grades, thus wasting money on summer classes. :lame: Best of luck to you, we got this! :thumbup:

I'll definitely apply early, but I suppose I'll retake just in case. Worst case scenario, I'll get accepted somewhere before I receive my new grades, thus wasting money on summer classes. :lame: Best of luck to you, we got this! :thumbup:

Yeah, retake. You don't want to be kicking yourself if something negative should befall your application.

This is the trend I see. DO schools (even great ones) accept applicants with MCATs of 26. But they typically accept them from people with 3.5+ science GPA's. Check out the school specific discussion.

Inversely, a low GPA (like 3.1 science) can be overcome by a 29 or 30.

So you can either retake the MCAT (which sucks) or retake the heavy-hitting science classes.

But definitely volunteer more. That's ridiculously important for DO schools.

Good luck!

This is the trend I see. DO schools (even great ones) accept applicants with MCATs of 26. But they typically accept them from people with 3.5+ science GPA's. Check out the school specific discussion.

The average science gpa is around a 3.3 I believe for DO...and the average mcat is 26. Top DO schools probably accept 3.4-3.6 science gpas with 28 mcat while many others accept around 3.3 science gpas +/- 1 with 26 mcat.

I do agree that volunteering is highly important to make yourself stand out though.

The average science gpa is around a 3.3 I believe for DO...and the average mcat is 26. Top DO schools probably accept 3.4-3.6 science gpas with 28 mcat while many others accept around 3.3 science gpas +/- 1 with 26 mcat.

I do agree that volunteering is highly important to make yourself stand out though.

I guess, but I doubt you'd be secure at many with a 26 and a 3.3 science. Just from my experience, while the numbers are averaged, the applicants are broad in variation.

Volunteering is not only important to make you stand out- it's important to get you considered. Example: The topic creator has roughly 100 hours of volunteer work. MSUCOM's (and I assume any reputable DO school's) "sufficient number" of hours is 8-900 hours. That's quite a bit.

Having said that, I was accepted with a 3.7 science and a 26 MCAT. A girl who'd applied months before (I was complete in December) had a 3.2 sGPA and a 26. She got a straight up rejection. However a few weeks ago, a guy on SDN with a 3.2 and a 31 got accepted. So cases like these are what I base my advice on. Of course, to be taken with a grain of salt.

I guess, but I doubt you'd be secure at many with a 26 and a 3.3 science. Just from my experience, while the numbers are averaged, the applicants are broad in variation.

Volunteering is not only important to make you stand out- it's important to get you considered. Example: The topic creator has roughly 100 hours of volunteer work. MSUCOM's (and I assume any reputable DO school's) "sufficient number" of hours is 8-900 hours. That's quite a bit.

Having said that, I was accepted with a 3.7 science and a 26 MCAT. A girl who'd applied months before (I was complete in December) had a 3.2 sGPA and a 26. She got a straight up rejection. However a few weeks ago, a guy on SDN with a 3.2 and a 31 got accepted. So cases like these are what I base my advice on. Of course, to be taken with a grain of salt.

There is a good possibility that the person with a 3.2 and 26 applied to the wrong schools, had bad ECs, something wrong with their personal statement etc. I would think they would get at least a few interviews with those stats.

You definitely have a shot, you should get moving on the DO shadowing though because a DO letter and experience with the profession is important. Also apply broadly, I'd say 20 schools minimum. The Northeast is competetive so make sure you consider other areas of the country, though if you live in Jersey you might get some love from UMDNJ.

Is there anything you can do to improve your clinical skills? Volunteering in a free clinic, etc? DO schools are focused on producing clinicians and they really like to see clinical experience beyond just volunteering in the ER. Alot of schools focus on underserved populations so free clinics, EMT work, etc will get you noticed.

Good luck!

There is a good possibility that the person with a 3.2 and 26 applied to the wrong schools, had bad ECs, something wrong with their personal statement etc. I would think they would get at least a few interviews with those stats.

I agree. There are schools that value MCAT more than others. I was on the side of higher GPA (with upper level science courses) , lower MCAT so I think I have a pretty good idea which schools value MCAT more based on the interview invites I received.

I completely agree that having to retake the MCAT would suck. :( I'd much rather retake organic chemistry with a better teacher in the summer. I called PCOM and they told me that it would be worth retaking classes in the summer as applying in September would not be too late. However, TCOM has a September 30th deadline for primary applications, so I'm debating whether or not to apply there in June with my current stats (3.1 sGPA, etc.)

I'm really glad I posted here, I thought I was finished with my EC's, but apparently not by a long shot. :lame: I'll get cracking on DO shadowing ASAP, I'll meet with my GP next week. I'll also look into free clinics or EMT courses. And I'm definitely applying to 20+ schools, my poor bank account...

Congrats on your MSU acceptances! Fingers crossed for the rest of us... Thanks again!