Chances? Please evaluate me with honest opinions/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmr6186

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone could check out my experience and see where I stand in terms of getting into a medical school.. DO school is also an option.

-Cumulative GPA: 3.73
-Science GPA: 3.6ish
-Clinical experience: 2 and a half years working at a hospital
-Volunteering: many hours on a rescue squad as EMT, some hospital volunteering (which was how I got my job there). Teach children how to roller skate, tutor students chemistry. Just started to tutor under a program called RU for Troops (I go to Rutgers U).
-Shadowing: Going to start next week. Planning for over 50 hours with an ER doctor. Also am going to try and shadow a neurologist afterwards. I am friendly with MRI techs and they would help refer me to one. These are my 2 main specialities of interest.
-Research: 1 semester in a molecular bio/biochem lab. Professor got too busy and couldn't do another. Now doing a semester in a neuro lab at a medical school.
-Outside activities: Competitively roller skated for many years with many achievements
-Independent student. I don't live with my parents. Working while going to school to support myself.
-LORs from professors, jobs, research, committee letter from school health professions office.
-Honor Society member.
-MCAT will be taken end of April.

Any opinions or advice are appreciated. I am graduating with a biology degree this May. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
seems good

Was just wondering if anyone could check out my experience and see where I stand in terms of getting into a medical school.. DO school is also an option.

-Cumulative GPA: 3.73
-Science GPA: 3.6ish
-Clinical experience: 2 and a half years working at a hospital
-Volunteering: many hours on a rescue squad as EMT, some hospital volunteering (which was how I got my job there). Teach children how to roller skate, tutor students chemistry. Just started to tutor under a program called RU for Troops (I go to Rutgers U).
-Shadowing: Going to start next week. Planning for over 50 hours with an ER doctor. Also am going to try and shadow a neurologist afterwards. I am friendly with MRI techs and they would help refer me to one. These are my 2 main specialities of interest.
-Research: 1 semester in a molecular bio/biochem lab. Professor got too busy and couldn't do another. Now doing a semester in a neuro lab at a medical school.
-Outside activities: Competitively roller skated for many years with many achievements
-Independent student. I don't live with my parents. Working while going to school to support myself.
-LORs from professors, jobs, research, committee letter from school health professions office.
-Honor Society member.
-MCAT will be taken end of April.

Any opinions or advice are appreciated. I am graduating with a biology degree this May. Thank you!
Your stats look good so far. Does your work in the hospital involve patient interaction? Is so, then your clinical experience is well above average. If not then the EMT and hospital volunteering might be enough depending on duration and total hours. I like the nonmedical community service, which includes teaching. The planned shadowing hours are good, but if at all possible try to get in 4-8 hours with a primary care doc as well. A year of research is about the average listed. Any leadership? This isn't required, but it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats look good so far. Does your work in the hospital involve patient interaction? Is so, then your clinical experience is well above average. If not then the EMT and hospital volunteering might be enough depending on duration and total hours. I like the nonmedical community service, which includes teaching. The planned shadowing hours are good, but if at all possible try to get in 4-8 hours with a primary care doc as well. A year of research is about the average listed. Any leadership? This isn't required, but it helps.

Yes the job I have requires constant patient interaction.

Thanks for the tip on primary care doc. Any specific reason as to why that is necessary even after shadowing the other docs? I will still try to do it because any experience is good.

For leadership, at times on the rescue squad I am able to be the lead EMT on calls. Outside of that and tutoring not too many official leadership positions.

Thank you I appreciate the input! Working very hard to try and be an ideal candidate.

Mcat of 31 should put you in good shape. I would only consider DO if you do poorly on the MCAT and don't wish to retake it.