DO Chances??? PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandabear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so ... my stats are 3.5 GPA undergrad cumulative and 3.3 GPA science from Penn State University. Have a Masters in Biomedical Science, however received a few C's in my grad program while dealing with some very tough issues in my personal life. Those issues are explained in my personal statement. Taking the MCAT in early June. Aiming for 28-30. I have tons of extra curricular activities and shadowing/volunteer hours. I am certified as a phlebotomist and am currently teaching biology and physiology at two large universities.

So... will my bad year in grad school kill me or is there some hope?? advise?? input??

Members don't see this ad.

It could be a problem; we have wait-listed people who tank their grad coursework (which is their chance to shine). You're likely to still get interviews, and so if your essays and interviews explain things well, then you should be OK.

Keep in mind that when we see things like this, we also worry about your coping skills. Life incidents, not poor intelligence, are what routinely kill off our poorly performing students. So, you'll need to show AdComs that you can now deal with anything life throws at you.

Ok so ... my stats are 3.5 GPA undergrad cumulative and 3.3 GPA science from Penn State University. Have a Masters in Biomedical Science, however received a few C's in my grad program while dealing with some very tough issues in my personal life. Those issues are explained in my personal statement. Taking the MCAT in early June. Aiming for 28-30. I have tons of extra curricular activities and shadowing/volunteer hours. I am certified as a phlebotomist and am currently teaching biology and physiology at two large universities.

So... will my bad year in grad school kill me or is there some hope?? advise?? input??

Thank you so much for the reply and insight! The focus of my essay is to demonstrate my growth in maturity since grad school, and that I am ready and can handle the rigors of medical school and life!