MD Chances ? Please I'm freaking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin4life

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A penny for your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are those your exact AAMC gpa calculations?
How strong is the SMP linkage to a medical school?
Did your SMP gpa make the cut?

I hope it's strong

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think that your SMP is a strong enough reinvention for MD schools, and combined with the < avg MCSAT scores, you're better off with DO schools.

What would you all chance me as for M.D. admissions?

NY resident.

cGPA= 3.0
sGPA=3.0
SMP GPA = 3.5
MCAT - 29-30

non-urm
I am considering D.O. schools but this thread is for M.D.

These are close to the AAMC gpa calculations.
It is a strong SMP that is hopefully known to other medical schools.
It does have a strong linkage to it's own school though - but the downside is that I'll be completing against another 100 SMP'ers.
I hear a 3.5 SMP is the "cut" - so I barely made it.
Close is no cigar when it's <3.0, though.
That is the electronic cut-off at many fine schools.
That SMP gpa is pretty iffy too depending on the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Tufts MBS program.

Do you think I should even apply to any MD schools?
How is your Spanish?
Your gpa's are well below the 10% at the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders, but a 29 MCAT might help them overlook that.

My Spanish is pretty bad

Last edited:
MD you probably have little to no chance. Your only shot is DO at this point.

If I were an adcom, and I'm only a student, I would be concerned about your ability to handle the material and courseload. Your undergrad career was well below par for a medical school applicant, and your MCAT (is it a 29 or a 30? What's this "29-30" nonsense?) is below average as well. In my view, your post-bacc was your "second chance" and you failed to distinguish yourself there. So that's that. There are far too many MD applicants significantly more qualified than you. If you had gotten, say, a 4.0 in your post-bacc and a 35 MCAT then I'd say you have a shot.

If you have something EC that's truly extraordinary then we can talk. You might have a shot at DO, so apply broadly.

Service in the military won't hurt. No PS will ever get a person into med school. But no med school will do you any favors by admitting you if you can't survive the curriculum.

As yet, I don't think you've done that, and I think it's time for Plan B.

Do you think an awesome PS and great EC's will make up for it?

Or are there any low tier MD programs that may "look at me"?
I think it's in your best interest to heed the advice given, especially Goro's. I know it's not what you want to hear. Please start spending your energy looking at DOs, and stop dwelling on what could've been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users