Chances? (post-bacc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemango

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking for a little advice...I graduated from Texas Tech University last May with a B.A. in psychology and minors in chem and Asian studies. I was undecided about applying to med school, so I decided to take a year off and now it's almost application season time again. I've been working part-time as an ER scribe since September 2011 and love it, and running an Etsy shop on the side for extra money.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet and I'm pretty scared since it's been about two years since I last looked at any ochem or physics. What MCAT score should I be aiming for, considering my other stats, and what schools do you think I might be a good fit for? I know those are pretty broad questions but I appreciate any answers that might help me narrow down my decision about where to apply. I'm a Texas resident, btw. Thanks!

STATS
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.99
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.0

Health care experience & shadowing:
--300 hours ER scribe (and counting since I'm still working right now)
--150 hours hospice volunteer
--50 hours pediatric unit volunteer
--100 hours genetic counseling intern
--40 hours shadowing internal med PA
--200 hours shadowing physicians

Extracurricular/Research Activities:
--450 hours rape crisis volunteer
--3 years Honors College Undergraduate Research Fellow (in social and developmental psych; presented 3 posters at national conference)
--150 hours mentoring program for elementary-age children
--4 years on Honors College Student Activities Board
--6 months study abroad in Shanghai, China
--Mortar Board Honor Society
--Phi Beta Kappa

Members don't see this ad.

seems like you would be safe with a 28-30.
Make sure you have all the pre-reqs done before you send out those apps,
and good luck! You have some good experiences, especially the Rape counseling, that make me want to meet you someday/

Get above a 32 and you pretty much are strong enough to apply to any medical school program in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get above a 32 and you pretty much are strong enough to apply to any medical school program in the country.

Do you really think so? Aside from my GPA, I feel like my background is very weak compared to many of the other poster's stats that I've seen here on SDN. I've lurked for quite awhile and it seems like you have to have published research, gone on medical missions and cured cancer in order to even be considered for a top 25 school, haha. My research background is in psychology, not a biological science, and I was never published, unfortunately.

Do you really think so? Aside from my GPA, I feel like my background is very weak compared to many of the other poster's stats that I've seen here on SDN. I've lurked for quite awhile and it seems like you have to have published research, gone on medical missions and cured cancer in order to even be considered for a top 25 school, haha. My research background is in psychology, not a biological science, and I was never published, unfortunately.

No. Your research background is fine even if it was in psychology and you don't have to have published research. 3 years and 3 posters nationally are excellent. Get a 32+ MCAT and you should be set for almost every school. A 34+ MCAT should be an almost sure shot for any school number wise. The rest depends on your LORs, your PS, other essays, how you do on your interviews etc.