Jan 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been reading for a while, but decided to finally post!

I'm a junior at a top 10 school, and recently decided to take a gap year. I think I have pretty strong ECs, with research, but no publications. I'm also an engineering major, non-URM, with 3.6 GPA and 39 MCAT. I would just appreciate any advice on which schools I can reasonably apply to. I guess I'm most worried about my GPA, but it shows an upward trend.

I feel like my advisors are overly optimistic, and I would like to get some honest opinions about where I stand. I'm proud of my mcat, but definitely messed up my first 1.5 years, which resulted in low grades. I also jumped around a lot with the research, and it took me a little while to figure out what exactly I wanted to do in college.

summary:
3.6 GPA, 39 MCAT, non-URM

ECs
Research
- 9 months on a molecular bio project
- 1 summer at a different institution
- medical engineering project that i just started, will hopefully continue into senior year
Campus mental health group (lots of volunteering, leadership, probs 10+ hours/week)
Various other 1-time volunteering (~50 hours…actually I have no idea)
RA

I know I still need to do some formal shadowing, so that will happen this year.

thank you!

Last edited:

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Stats wise you have a good shot. The GPA is a little on the low side, but the MCAT is great. It's hard to come up with a school list for you without a list of your ECs...

OP
M
Jan 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
thank you nemo! I wasn't sure how much info to include, but I updated my post.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Did you get a poster/abstract out of any of your research or do you plan on doing a senior thesis for your medical engineering project?

Also, any hobbies/non-medically oriented ECs?

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Chances excellent, but bone up on the ECs, especially volunteering. Nothing wrong with aiming high for you.