Chances+school list- please advise (508, GPA=s3.4/3.59)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m e g a n

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Thanks for stopping by and lending a hand.

I'm a grad of well-known California public university in bio(May 2016), and planning to apply this upcoming cycle. California resident. I'd really appreciate your help on general chances of getting in to any med school, as well as compiling my list.

MCAT: 508
GPA: science 3.4, overall 3.59

Experience/ECs:
- surgery clinic (gap year, will continue during apps)
- Christian fellowship - since freshman year, and now serving as staff~ (5 years)
- Sports Med Internship (1 year, football team)
- Academic Peer Advising (1 year)
- neuroscience research (1.5 years, including presentation)
- large public hospital - Step-Down Unit & Ortho (1.5 years)

Side question- today, I've been thinking on if I should retake my MCAT. I agree that my sciences could be in better shape... but worried that I'd spread myself too thin over studying and applying. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, in addition to chances & schools.

List so far (aiming 25-30 total):
CALIFORNIA
- Loma Linda
- UCR
- UC Davis
- UCLA
- California Northstate
- UCSD
- UCSF

OOS
- Chicago @Rosalind
- George Washington
- NY Medical College
- Albany Medical College
- Georgetown
- UMass
- Tufts

Which leaves 10-15 more schools to pick.
Thank you in advance!

// EDIT //
In addition, I see that more & more schools are requiring biochemistry as a prerequisite for applying, rather than the usual recommendation. I have not taken a biochemistry course. Weighing pros & cons, would it be worth it to try taking a biochem class? I would highly prefer not to (as I want to commit my efforts to my application) but I want to know how much this would affect my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loma Linda is a mission-based school. Do you fit the mission?
UCR is a mission-based school. "
Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federally insure loans and payback mechanisms.
GW and GT get more than 10K applications.
UMass is not known for its recruitment of CA applicants in your MCAT range. Do you have a particular connection?
If you attend UCD, I count 4 schools on your list where you have a fair chance at an interview. That is not usually enough for a CA applicant.
If you have already purchased the MSAR, look for at least a dozen OOS private schools that have a median MCAT around yours (30ish).
Is that your only MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
UMass accepts few nonresidents and Tufts is a reach. You need many more OOS private schools on your list such as:
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
any other schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, etc.)
Consider applying to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. Some schools require a DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is a mission-based school. Do you fit the mission?
UCR is a mission-based school. "
Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federally insure loans and payback mechanisms.
GW and GT get more than 10K applications.
UMass is not known for its recruitment of CA applicants in your MCAT range. Do you have a particular connection?
If you attend UCD, I count 4 schools on your list where you have a fair chance at an interview. That is not usually enough for a CA applicant.
If you have already purchased the MSAR, look for at least a dozen OOS private schools that have a median MCAT around yours (30ish).
Is that your only MCAT?

Thank you for the reply!

1. Yes, I've read Loma Linda's mission and believe I am a good fit.
2. Same with UCR!
3. That is super great to know about Northstate, thank you so much for telling me.
4. Good to know about GW/GT.
5. My mom went to UMass for master's degree & is pushing me to go/apply. Is that such a connection they're looking for?
6. I do not attend UCD, but I do attend a UC!
7. Gotcha- I do have the MCAT and will look out specifically for those schools.
8. Yes, that is currently my only MCAT- do you have any advice regarding re-taking it?

Thank you for the reply!

1. Yes, I've read Loma Linda's mission and believe I am a good fit.
2. Same with UCR!
3. That is super great to know about Northstate, thank you so much for telling me.
4. Good to know about GW/GT.
5. My mom went to UMass for master's degree & is pushing me to go/apply. Is that such a connection they're looking for?
6. I do not attend UCD, but I do attend a UC!
7. Gotcha- I do have the MCAT and will look out specifically for those schools.
8. Yes, that is currently my only MCAT- do you have any advice regarding re-taking it?
In addition to the LLU mission, you might want to take a look at the Student Handbook. Even many devout people drink wine or have sex with a partner outside of marriage.
Are you from the IE? There are only 25 seats for non-UCR students.
Your Mom's connection to UMass is unlikely to be seen as a significant connection, but I understand why she might want you to apply anyway.
Most of the 1,642 CA applicants who went OOS were also UC grads!
508 is close to the median for successful matriculants. Merely re-taking is not recommended. With a gpa that is somewhat modest, much will depend on the rest of the application and the strategy employed.

UMass accepts few nonresidents and Tufts is a reach. You need many more OOS private schools on your list such as:
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
any other schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, etc.)
Consider applying to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. Some schools require a DO LOR.

Thank you for your list of suggestions! I've begun considering DO path recently, and have been told the same thing by a few other people. Do you have any thoughts on my current list, such as my chances, or something you'd suggest taking off?

In addition to the LLU mission, you might want to take a look at the Student Handbook. Even many devout people drink wine or have sex with a partner outside of marriage.
Are you from the IE? There are only 25 seats for non-UCR students.
Your Mom's connection to UMass is unlikely to be seen as a significant connection, but I understand why she might want you to apply anyway.
Most of the 1,642 CA applicants who went OOS were also UC grads!
508 is close to the median for successful matriculants. Merely re-taking is not recommended. With a gpa that is somewhat modest, much will depend on the rest of the application and the strategy employed.

Regarding LLU- I understand. As part of the staff of my current church's college ministry, my values are closely in line with those of LLU, albeit the fact that I am not technically 7th-day Adventist. But I am Christian and am considering medical missions work in the future.
I'm not from IE--thanks for sharing about the non-UCR seats. I'm from a neighboring county; not sure if that would make a difference but it does give me strong ties to the area.
I'm not sure if this would make a difference, but my mom immigrated to the States for the purpose of attending UMass grad school, so our family regards it as a significant decision for all of us.

Thanks for your time, gyngyn--I appreciate you taking a look at my stats and your clarifying advice!

TO ADD ABOUT CLASSES:
In addition, I see that more & more schools are requiring biochemistry as a prerequisite for applying, rather than the usual recommendation. I have not taken a biochemistry course. Weighing pros & cons, would it be worth it to try taking a biochem class? I would highly prefer not to (as I want to commit my efforts to my application) but I want to know how much this would affect my application.