Chances so far and suggestions please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agoron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I know I'm WAY early for this, but I'm a 2nd semester sophomore, and I've just decided now that I would like to apply to medical school for entrance in the Fall of 2016. I was on a pre-vet track thinking about veterinary school, but now I think I would like to pursue medical school instead. I was just hoping I could post a few stats and if some of you guys would be able to give me advice on what I need to continue to do or what I should be looking to do next in order to set myself up for a successful application. I'm a Maryland resident, and definitely will be applying to the University of Maryland, so hopefully that will go well because I'm in-state.

Anyways:

Animal Sciences Major
Spanish Language and Cultures Minor

GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.90
MCAT: unknown, will take next year

Clinical Experience:
150 hours at an animal hospital (This is from when I was pursuing veterinary school. If I can't count this as clinical, I can definitely count it as volunteer, right? It was unpaid volunteer work, but I did get to see a lot of surgeries and appointments, albeit on animals.)
20 hours pediatrician shadowing
Beginning volunteer work at a hospital this summer, so I am anticipating 100-150 hours of volunteer work this coming summer

Volunteer Experience:
National Zoo Bird House (1 semester)
Animal Welfare Society
University of Maryland Campus Farm (1 semester)

Employment:

Charm City Hospitality (special events catering company at a concert pavilion) 4 years

Research:
I'm just beginning this semester in a Children's Language Development and Speech Perception Research Lab. 6 hrs/week for hopefully the rest of my college career

Extracurriculars:
Sigma Alpha Sorority (Secretary)
Pre-Med Society
Organic Chemistry Tutor
School of Agriculture and Natural Resources Student Ambassador

Awards + Honors:
Honors College
Dean's List all 3 semesters, President's list 2/3 semesters (4.0 GPA)
Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society
Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society
Named university scholarship recipient

That's pretty much it! As of now, I think I need to get some more clinical experience, and really focus on building relationships with professors and starting to study for the MCAT! Advice would be MUCH appreciated so I can continue on the right track! Thank you guys so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Animal hospital volunteering might be tricky. It is clinical but it technically is not. At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter since your activity description will clarify.

Keep up with your volunteering activities. You said Spanish minor; are you planning a study abroad? I was just curious.

I would focus more on your research, because 6 hours a week are not usually sufficient to deliver significant results. Pre-med club is not important at all, so I would consider no longer being involved in that club. You have a decent start with leadership considering your sophomore status, so keep it up!

Besides language development, what else are you passionate in?

You'll definitely need more shadowing (at least 60 hours) to demonstrate that you've witnessed the day to day life of a physician and know what you're getting yourself into. I think this will be especially important for you since you're switching from pre-vet. Make sure to shadow in a couple different fields to get a semi well-rounded experience.

Unfortunately, your clinical experience at the animal hospital does not count as clinical for medical school. You need to have clinical experience with human patients, so its good you're planning on starting that soon. I think an intense summer experience would be good, but make sure to continue it into the following semesters as well. Schools like to see hours AND continuity. I would also keep up your non-clinical volunteering activities as well. I'm sure the animal volunteering will count for something (non-clinical, though).

I think research will also enhance your application. Definitely stick with it (as long as you like it), and maybe think about stepping up the weekly hours. If you get an opportunity for a poster presentation or something, take it. Your other EC's look good, and any leadership positions (in addition to sorority secretary) would make them even better. Again, the important thing is to show genuine interest and continued engagement.

Your GPA is great, so keep it up! The MCAT will obviously be very important, but don't worry about this just yet if you're taking it in 2015. Like you said, you should start to think about letters of recommendation, but you'll want to have a decent amount of shadowing and clinical experience before anyone can really write you a good letter (you need to convince them that you are serious about human medicine).

Do you have any other specific concerns?