Chances - special case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous20142014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking for some updated advice/insight into my situation as a medical school applicant. I have graduated in three years and am looking to apply to medical school in the summer of 2014 for entry in the entering class of 2015. Before I explain my situation, I'll post my normal SDN numbers.

GPA. 4.0
MCAT 38
Extracurriculars:
3 years working at a startup software company; laid off when company went under (15-20 hours a week, 40 hours a week in the summer)
3 years volunteering at a local hospital as a patient transport aid (discharged patients as well as transport patients to different areas of the hospital) 250 hours
3 years volunteering at another hospital in the Emergency Department (150 hours)
100 hours of shadowing doctors from various specialties including orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, and OB/GYN
2 years research experience (10-20 hours per week) in a lab with a scholarship as well as a forum presentation.

When I first entered university, I was involved in a physical altercation with a suitemate. One evening, he entered the bathroom while I was in there and began to call me a homophobic expletive multiple times. The end result was that I struck him mildly on the side, told him to stop, and walked away. After I exited the bathroom, he was waiting outside and attacked me. We fell to the ground and our other suitemates immediately pulled us apart. As a result of this situation, I was placed on probation for 10 weeks.

I believe I was at fault in this altercation. Looking back, I let my emotions get the better of me and I reacted in a rash and unacceptable manner and I wish I could have just walked away. But I didn't - that was my mistake. I understand that this will tarnish my character and the way others see me, as much as I hope to convince them that this is not who I am.

Over the past two years, my volunteering experience in the ER has helped me with my emotions. In the ER, an emotionally-charged environment, I have been yelled at and sworn at multiple times. I think these few years have really helped me be in charge of my emotions and the way I deal with these types of situations.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read. Any type of advice would be appreciated. Hope Thanksgiving went well.

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers and ECs look great. I assume the assault is on your record as an IA? If so, you'll have to explain it on your app and if interviewed you'll no doubt have to explain it again in person. Based upon your explanation, I'd say the blame was shared equally, but you instigated it.

As long as you own your transgression, and don't try to make excuses, I think you'll be fine.

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking for some updated advice/insight into my situation as a medical school applicant. I have graduated in three years and am looking to apply to medical school in the summer of 2014 for entry in the entering class of 2015. Before I explain my situation, I'll post my normal SDN numbers.

GPA. 4.0
MCAT 38
Extracurriculars:
3 years working at a startup software company; laid off when company went under (15-20 hours a week, 40 hours a week in the summer)
3 years volunteering at a local hospital as a patient transport aid (discharged patients as well as transport patients to different areas of the hospital) 250 hours
3 years volunteering at another hospital in the Emergency Department (150 hours)
100 hours of shadowing doctors from various specialties including orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, and OB/GYN
2 years research experience (10-20 hours per week) in a lab with a scholarship as well as a forum presentation.

When I first entered university, I was involved in a physical altercation with a suitemate. One evening, he entered the bathroom while I was in there and began to call me a homophobic expletive multiple times. The end result was that I struck him mildly on the side, told him to stop, and walked away. After I exited the bathroom, he was waiting outside and attacked me. We fell to the ground and our other suitemates immediately pulled us apart. As a result of this situation, I was placed on probation for 10 weeks.

I believe I was at fault in this altercation. Looking back, I let my emotions get the better of me and I reacted in a rash and unacceptable manner and I wish I could have just walked away. But I didn't - that was my mistake. I understand that this will tarnish my character and the way others see me, as much as I hope to convince them that this is not who I am.

Over the past two years, my volunteering experience in the ER has helped me with my emotions. In the ER, an emotionally-charged environment, I have been yelled at and sworn at multiple times. I think these few years have really helped me be in charge of my emotions and the way I deal with these types of situations.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read. Any type of advice would be appreciated. Hope Thanksgiving went well.

Thanks Goro for replying.

Yes, it is on my record as an IA (disciplinary probation). My main fear is that adcoms across all schools will throw my application away as soon as they see this type of IA (where as for underage drinking, they might let slide). In the case that does occur, my only option is to wait 6 years (left) until this IA gets tossed and deleted. That is what frightens me the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my school at least, you'd be surprised at some of the people we interview, who have some really scary IAs! I once interviewed a guy who did felony time for drug smuggling!

Thanks Goro for replying.

Yes, it is on my record as an IA (disciplinary probation). My main fear is that adcoms across all schools will throw my application away as soon as they see this type of IA (where as for underage drinking, they might let slide). In the case that does occur, my only option is to wait 6 years (left) until this IA gets tossed and deleted. That is what frightens me the most.

Reactions: 1 user

Well stated -- I'm assuming the gist of this is somewhere in your application? Your 'abused in the ER and learned to deal with it' would be very reassuring to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Well stated -- I'm assuming the gist of this is somewhere in your application? Your 'abused in the ER and learned to deal with it' would be very reassuring to me.

Hi DokterMom,

Thanks for replying - I appreciate it. Yes, I plan to include an explanation in the application.