Chances? Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a bio major with a minor in French. My overal GPA is 3.7, and my BCPM GPA is 3.6.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so I'm asking how my GPA and EC's look, basically.

As far as EC's go, I have about 200 hours volunteering in an ER, 60 hours of shadowing (ophthalmologist, neurosurgeon, and family practice), fencing for 2 and a half years (I'm a member of a fencing club that is not affiliated with my school), and about 100 hours volunteering in a homeless shelter. I am also a member of the French club, and have studied abroad in France twice (a 3 week intensive course in Aix-En-Provence as well as a semester in Paris).

What worries me is that I don't have any "leadership" experience. I've been thinking about trying to establish a fencing team at my school, but apparently others have tried before, and the school forbids it due to it resembling violence, which is a bunch of BS. It's an olympic sport! They don't seem to understand that though.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How about organizing a trip to France over the spring break for club members? Or organizing a bunch of club members to tutor/mentor HS kids after school in French?You could also run a collection effort on campus for the homeless shelter, gathering toiletry items or new/used warm winter clothes (if you're not in a warm part of the country).

Those are some great ideas! How extensive should leadership experience be? For example, would organizing a trip to france for the french club cover it, or would I need a longer span of leadership experience.

I also really like the idea of the food/cloth drive on campus for the homeless shelter. I'm definitely going to try to do that. But again, how extensive should this be? Should I organize a drive a couple of times per year?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no requirement about what you "should" do. Start small and build things up if the first effort works well. Remember that leadership is about organizing peers so that important tasks are accomplished and goals are achieved. It's not about doing all the work yourself. In my view, leadership that helps those with inadequate economic resources would be the most ideal acitivity to list, but any of the above would give you a good vehicle for demonstrating to adcomms that you've got what they're looking for.

I'd like to have thought of a better way to work in the fencing interest, but does your school already have a medieval reinactment group?

Thanks again for the suggestions. My school does not have anything along the lines of medieval reenactments, but I'm not talking about anything like that. Classical fencing and sport fencing are two totally different things. I don't know, I suppose I can still try to possibly start a fencing team at my school.

I'm definitely going to try to incorporate the homeless shelter with leadership by organizing related events at my school. That was a great suggestion. Thank you.

Do you have any other comments on my application? Will my EC's be fine if I just get a little leadership in there? Is my GPA OK?

Mean acceptee stats for AMCAS schools are cGPA 3.67, BCPM 3.61, MCAT 31.1 for the 2010 entering vclass, so your current stats are competitive.

EC-wise, your clinical experience hours are above average, your shadowing has some nice variety and above average hours, your nonmedical community service is very nice (maybe nicer than I know depending on if it is/will be > 1 year of involvement), and the fencing being a less common sport helps you stand out. You might consider listing your travels abroad under Other as an experience, describing above and beyond the academic considerations what you did and experienced while living in France that was different than your usual life. Be prepared for the near-inevitable question about comparing their healthcare system to US's.

You didn't mention teaching, but I expect their must be some component of that in the fencing club. Also, don't forget to list hobbies and any artistic endeavors.

You also didn't bring up research. Any plan to squeeze some in before applying? It isn't essential, but 60% do list it on their application.

Wow, you've been a great help!

As far as research goes, I do plan on doing research my senior year, as at least a semester of research is required for the bio major at my school. What is the average amount of research the 60% complete?

Also, teaching isn't really an aspect of the fencing club. I'm just a regular member, but I suppose if I manage to start up the team at my school it could turn into teaching. Also, they teach bible courses at the homeless shelter. I could possibly help teach there. What is the average amount of teaching successful applicants take part in?

Thanks again!

What is the average amount of research the 60% complete?

What is the average amount of teaching successful applicants take part in?
About a year of research completed by application time seems average, but even a summer's or semester's worth strengthens the application.

Teaching/coaching/TA/tutoring: I'd say 1-2 semesters seems most typical for those that list it. I've never made a correlation between listing it and being successful, nor does the MSAR.

Ok, thanks again.

I have one more question I figure I might as well ask here since you seem to know your stuff. For shadowing, do I just list my hours and types of doctors I shadowed, or will I need letters from each of those doctors stating that I did shadow them for the amount of time?