"Chances" thread looking for motivation! Pre-medical Non-tradition situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NixLifter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to start another "chances" thread, but each time I read some responses on pre-med stories, it is very inspiring and I would like to throw my hat in ring if you don't mind.

When I am done with my bachelors, I should have about a 3.4 or so, with at least a 3.5 in science classes. It has taken me almost 8 years to complete my undergrad because I got married at 21, paid for all of my school and have been working in healthcare administration for 5 years now (sometimes only being able to take 1 class at a time), while putting my wife through physician assistant school. Also it should be known that I had 1 D and 1 F when I was 18 and didn't care about grades (which can and will be explained, neither of which were in science). My transcripts will show that I have retaken those classes and made A's, but they will still be accounted for in my GPA.

I have not taken my MCAT yet, but when I do, I hope to make at least a 29 (as that is what my friend made to get into LSU medical school), but hopefully much better.

If that was the case, how do my chances look from a group of people who see this stuff everyday? I am absolutely enthusiastic about becoming a doctor and as long as I get an interview, it will be shown. I will have thousands of hours of clinic work, and another thousands of hours in healthcare administration (I have worked my way up considerably high) and several hundred hours of volunteer work around the country. I will be able to get recommendation letters from the president of the hospital I work for, along with some physicians from LSU medical school that I have worked with.

What are my best moves to make? I would love to stay here and go to LSU medical school (family, step son, etc...) I will be 28 when I apply for medical school. BTW, I will also be able to pull the "I'm Puerto Rican card". But I have lived here my whole life and do not know spanish, so a school in Puerto Rico is not an option for me!
icon_smile.gif

I also was looking at the possibility of military medical school, if the requirements (GPA, MCAT, etc...) were more laxed than regular US state schools, but I have yet to find anything that gives me any information. Does anyone knowabout those requirements compared to state universities?

Thanks guys and I can't wait to get some feedback as I have seen and received much motivation from some of your posts to other inspired pre-medical students.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you refer to LSU-NO, their median acceptee stats are cGPA 3.8/MCAT 29. With a lower cGPA, you'd ideally have a higher MCAT score to compensate, though the URM status, nontrad, and recent high grades would help you too.

You'll want to get two Letters of recommendation from recent science teachers too. Don't forget to do some physician shadowing.

Median stats for the Unifromed Service med school are 3.6/30, BTW.