Chances to get into OSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccfman1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

My stats:
cGPA: 3.800
sGPA: 3.730
MCAT: 35S (14PS, 8VR, 13BS)

Ohio State University's most recent stats:
Class GPA:.......................................................................................3.64
Class science GPA:....................................................................... 3.55
MCAT composite:..........................................................................33Q
Verbal mean:................................................................................ 10.42
Physical Science mean:................................................................11.37
Biological Science mean:............................................................ 11.50
Writing section:.................................................................................Q*

Just from a NUMBERS BASED APPROACH ALONE, do you think I have a good shot? I'm an IN-STATE RESIDENT. OSU had 1017 in-state applicants and has an in-state matriculate class of 123 (12.1% acceptance rate)

**If you wanna know the EC's:
-Over 5 years of research at a top 5 hospital and at my top 10 private school. 1 first author publication.
-Over 1000 hours of community service in various fields: summer camps, tutoring, and tour guiding and working on my school's admission's team
-Over 500 hours of in-depth work with my school's department of undergraduate student athletics. part of the executive board.
-Over 100 hours shadowing with various PCP's and surgeons (nothing in-between...so to speak)
-Passion for teaching and passion as an undergraduate admission's ambassador
-Killer personal statement
-Raving prehealth committee letter from a school that has a department that has a 90% admit rate for first-time med school applicants
-some more stuff that i don't feel like typing down here...

Lemme know! Thx SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys:

My stats:
cGPA: 3.800
sGPA: 3.730
MCAT: 35S (14PS, 8VR, 13BS)

Ohio State University's most recent stats:
Class GPA:.......................................................................................3.64
Class science GPA:....................................................................... 3.55
MCAT composite:..........................................................................33Q
Verbal mean:................................................................................ 10.42
Physical Science mean:................................................................11.37
Biological Science mean:............................................................ 11.50
Writing section:.................................................................................Q*

Just from a NUMBERS BASED APPROACH ALONE, do you think I have a good shot? I'm an IN-STATE RESIDENT. OSU had 1017 in-state applicants and has an in-state matriculate class of 123 (12.1% acceptance rate)

**If you wanna know the EC's:
-Over 5 years of research at a top 5 hospital and at my top 10 private school. 1 first author publication.
-Over 1000 hours of community service in various fields: summer camps, tutoring, and tour guiding and working on my school's admission's team
-Over 500 hours of in-depth work with my school's department of undergraduate student athletics. part of the executive board.
-Over 100 hours shadowing with various PCP's and surgeons (nothing in-between...so to speak)
-Passion for teaching and passion as an undergraduate admission's ambassador
-Killer personal statement
-Raving prehealth committee letter from a school that has a department that has a 90% admit rate for first-time med school applicants
-some more stuff that i don't feel like typing down here...

Lemme know! Thx SDN!

You answered your own question
/thread

The verbal is a little low, and where are the clinical volunteering hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
The verbal is a little low, and where are the clinical volunteering hours?

Ah, forgot to add that in. The 1000 hrs community service includes 3 major clinical volunteering opportunities. I volunteered at my local hospital for three years in the emergency department .I helped clean patient beds and fill supply cabinets. not glorious but I spent a lot of time interacting with nurses doftors and patients. I also volunteered to teach sick kids while they missed school for extended trestment. I also put in time in the department if orthopedics for our health careers program. We basically go around comforting patients and providing them with simple needs. these are real brief explanations,I'm typing on my cell phone lol. All in all its about 400 clinical hours and counting and 600 nonclinical hours.

Ah, forgot to add that in. The 1000 hrs community service includes 3 major clinical volunteering opportunities. I volunteered at my local hospital for three years in the emergency department .I helped clean patient beds and fill supply cabinets. not glorious but I spent a lot of time interacting with nurses doftors and patients. I also volunteered to teach sick kids while they missed school for extended trestment. I also put in time in the department if orthopedics for our health careers program. We basically go around comforting patients and providing them with simple needs. these are real brief explanations,I'm typing on my cell phone lol. All in all its about 400 clinical hours and counting and 600 nonclinical hours.

Is UTCOM not good enough for you?

x

Last edited:
I don't know how it will affect the c/o 2013 admissions, but I know that this year was a bit of a wild card as OSU accepted too many people to the c/o 2011. This resulted in them deferring several students to c/o 2012, reducing the number of open spots for 2012. This probably won't affect this coming year's application pool as much, but is something to be wary of. Overall, your GPA could hurt you but if you interview well, you should have a decent shot.

apply and let us know