This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cate98

Reaction score
Hi!
So I am currently and junior majoring in Neuroscience and History with a minor in Chemistry and Religious Studies at the University of Pittsburgh, but I am from South Carolina.
I am currently deciding whether I should plan on applying directly into medical school or whether I should do like a year-long post-bacc program or take a year off and try to get an internship or something. Suggestions for medical schools that would be reasonable for me to consider would be very appreciated.
I am working on getting my shadowing hours done and should have at least fifty by the time I apply.
I am a crisis textline volunteer and will have completed around 200hrs by the time I apply and I will be volunteering at a hospital sitting beside people nearing the end through a program called No One Dies Alone. Since I started my undergrad I have volunteered at least 20hrs a semester through my service fraternity doing a variety of service. I worked in an orphanage in Bolivia for part of my summer tutoring and helping young girls. I am trying to get into a research lab next semester because I am not getting enough work in the one I am in now they want me to do mainly housekeeping tasks.
I have served on National committees for my service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega.
I have yet to take the MCAT yet and understand that will impact my application a lot but I have about a 6month long study plan that I am starting in December.
I will say that right now based off of the shadowing I have done and my personal interests I am very interested in pursuing a career as primary care physician, neurologist, or allergist. Although I know that is likely to change as I take different courses I say this to make the point that I am not trying to pursuing what I consider to be the more competitive specialties.

Using the AMCAS GPA calculator:
My Science GPA is around a 3.0
My running Overall GPA is 3.3
My Running All Other GPA is 3.66
My GPA has shown a positive rise and change over my time in college.

Based on the info given what do you guys think is my most reasonable option for me to do once I graduate. Suggestions of programs are welcomed. Going straight into medical school is my goal just because I do not want to put on more debt by doing a post-bacc program to prep for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

no one can advise without a MCAT

Without the MCAT we can’t really help you! Your GPAs are very low for MD. Are you planning to apply to DO schools? Are you URM? What state are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Without the MCAT we can’t really help you! Your GPAs are very low for MD. Are you planning to apply to DO schools? Are you URM? What state are you from?
I don't know what URM means. I am from South Carolina and was considering DO schools.

URM(UIM) =under represented in medicin usually Mexican, Puerto Ricans and Native Americans. If you don’t know you probably aren’t.

You gotta get that science GPA up

Hi!
So I am currently and junior majoring in Neuroscience and History with a minor in Chemistry and Religious Studies at the University of Pittsburgh, but I am from South Carolina.
I am currently deciding whether I should plan on applying directly into medical school or whether I should do like a year-long post-bacc program or take a year off and try to get an internship or something. Suggestions for medical schools that would be reasonable for me to consider would be very appreciated.
I am working on getting my shadowing hours done and should have at least fifty by the time I apply.
I am a crisis textline volunteer and will have completed around 200hrs by the time I apply and I will be volunteering at a hospital sitting beside people nearing the end through a program called No One Dies Alone. Since I started my undergrad I have volunteered at least 20hrs a semester through my service fraternity doing a variety of service. I worked in an orphanage in Bolivia for part of my summer tutoring and helping young girls. I am trying to get into a research lab next semester because I am not getting enough work in the one I am in now they want me to do mainly housekeeping tasks.
I have served on National committees for my service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega.
I have yet to take the MCAT yet and understand that will impact my application a lot but I have about a 6month long study plan that I am starting in December.
I will say that right now based off of the shadowing I have done and my personal interests I am very interested in pursuing a career as primary care physician, neurologist, or allergist. Although I know that is likely to change as I take different courses I say this to make the point that I am not trying to pursuing what I consider to be the more competitive specialties.

Using the AMCAS GPA calculator:
My Science GPA is around a 3.0
My running Overall GPA is 3.3
My Running All Other GPA is 3.66
My GPA has shown a positive rise and change over my time in college.

Based on the info given what do you guys think is my most reasonable option for me to do once I graduate. Suggestions of programs are welcomed. Going straight into medical school is my goal just because I do not want to put on more debt by doing a post-bacc program to prep for med school.

It honestly sounds like you are over committed to extracurricular activities, which may me impeding your academic potential (in terms of GPA.)

Aim to improve your c/sGPA and an MCAT of 505 to be competitive for most DO schools or 508 for all DO schools. If you are only applying to DO schools, I also recommend you try to gain some DO shadowing/exposure or a DO LOR if possible.