Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Chances? / Too late for next year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by tcufrogs, Feb 28, 2007.

1. tcufrogs

tcufrogs New Member

Podiatry Student
    I'll be graduating this May with about a 3.1 overall & 2.9 sci. I got my MCAT scores back today and got a 25M. Should I be able to get in? and should i wait until next year to apply (taking a year off to work or do research)? thanks.

2. KHep

KHep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    It isn't horribly expensive to apply, so if I were in your shoes, I would probably go ahead and do it. Of course, if you are planning on only applying to one or two schools, I would recommend calling them to see how full there classes are and how far out interviews are. This is only my opinion. I haven't yet been accepted (I applied at the end of Jan. and will interview next week), so I am no expert.

If you can get in next year, then you haven't wasted a year working. The cost is really minimal to apply since there are no secondary apps. The biggest expense will come from traveling to interview. But, if they are still interviewing, you can assume there are seats open.

Good Luck!

3. songaila

2+ Year Member

As far as I know, there are still plenty of seats for OCPM, Temple NYCPM and Barry. It is also part due to large number of seats. You have 25M, that will serve you good.

Khep is right about it's not too expensive too apply, If you apply all 8, it's really not that expensive. The application is online and there is no secondary application. If you have the LORs and transcripts ready to send, you should be all right.

4. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's called rolling admissions for a reason. I would think you'd be fine for some schools due to a pretty average MCAT, and if you can improve your GPA a bit in your final semester (get your science up to a 3.0 if possible?) you should be even better off. I agree that your best bet is to just call the schools to be sure, though.

I'd advise making a call to set up shadowing a DPM soon also, then get your application and transcript in soon and have MCAT scores sent to the AACPM if you haven't already. That will improve your chances at any financial help (scholarships or grants) which the schools may have left for new c/o 2011 students entering this fall. You can always send the DPM letter, academic recommendation letters, final undergrad transcript with proof of degree, etc over the next couple months, but get the ball rolling with the initial application, current transcript, and MCAT to maybe try and get an interview soon.

There are always people who get into pod school late or even last-minute due to open spots from people who were accepted but never let the school know that they will be attending elsewhere. Still, those last minute acceptees' chances at scholarship $, even if they have solid stats, are slim to none if they wait too long.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Apply As Soon As You Can!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I completely disagree. From your other post, it appears you wanted to be an MD/DO. You need to shadow a DPM and really decide if podiatry is for you. I would take time off reapply to MD/DO programs and maybe include a DPM application next year.

7. Podman

Podman Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student

I agree with feelgood on that one, don't rush your decision and application for the sake of starting somewhere in the fall. You need to investigate your decision wisely and see if DPM is fit for you. I think your grades are average - but it depends on your undergraduate school as well, and your MCATs are ok, so with a little stronger effort this semester, I'm sure you should be able to raise your GPA and be competitive for the top DPM schools, and perhaps some MD/DO ones.

For that reason, if I was in your shoes, I would take the research opportunity and work. In the mean time, I'd also shadow a pod or two to solidify your decision and desire to pursue DPM.

Best of luck with your decision.

8. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree with feelgood and podman.

If you just want to start something in the fall chances are you will go to a not so stellar school because you will not know enough about the profession to know what to look for in a school.

I think it is the ones who did not do enough research about the profession, ended up in the less than stellar schools, then bought into the everyone gets a residency and B's and C's equal degrees attitude.

It is imperative to your future (and potentialy your patient's) that you find out about the profession from several podiatrists before committing to a school.

Politics can play a role in which reisdency you can get upon graduation. Try to find this out while shaddowing. Ask around about which residencies take students from which schools most commonly.

9. iwilldlvr

iwilldlvr not listening
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Like everyone else said, shadow a DPM. I originally shelled out all the money to apply to most DO schools and a few MD schools. After shadowing a DPM (in addition to MDs and a DO), I definitely liked DPM better. I only wish I had known before spending all that money on the other apps. I actually just cancelled an interview to a DO school. Only do DPM if you are sure, especially if you plan on attending a school that shares classes with MD or DO students. Good luck with whatever you do.

10. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    hey congrats on your 1000 post. God bless you! Iam also in my 600s.:D, i wish SDN had some policy on Points. for every single post, we get one point. And we can redeem the points in travelling, shopping, etc. Lol!

11. PureBlue

PureBlue Guest

Pre-Podiatry
    man I dont see how you guys can have so many posts :laugh: I guess I just don't have much to say. I should start trolling the other forums to get my post count up :laugh:

12. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yea, your posts really start adding up when you get in "flame wars" :laugh:

13. KHep

KHep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    See, how is it that you knew that this person really wanted to go the MD/DO route? I made the assumption that they were genuinely interested in pod. Their post indicated nothing other. And I'm a convert! Originally I wanted to be a DO, but after researching and shadowing, I would much rather be a DPM. It amazes me that you guys are on top of all these posts to know their posting history...it also scares me a little:laugh: