Chances? TX Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdabear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: 3.35
Grad: 3.61 (Specialized Master's)
MCAT: 506 with previous retakes on the old MCAT. (2013:18 2014:24)

Reapplicant

Semi-Upward trend in GPA:

Summer Senior Year: 3.64
Fall Senior: 3.64
Spring Senior: 3.67
Graduate summer: 4.0
Graduate fall: 3.0 (hence the semi)
Graduate spring: 3.7
Graduate summer 2: 4.0
Graduate fall 2: 4.0

-Scribe (1600+ hours)
-Community service/philanthropy through fraternity (100+ hours)
-6 month clinical research internship
-lab tech (800+ hours)
-research assistant (ongoing)
-graduate honors for master's thesis
-great letters of rec from Dean and PI.
-have a DO letter for TCOM and an MD letter ready to send, although I heard they don't carry as much weight.

Submitted app late June, waiting to be verified.

Hoping I have somewhat of a shot at an interview being a Texas resident and with 3(?) new schools opening.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may have a chance for an interview at a Texas school and Dell and Rio Grande are new schools.Your new MCAT is roughly equivalent to a 29 on the old MCAT but your old MCAT scores will also be visible. I recommend applying to additional DO schools since there is no guarantee of a MD admission with your stats. Apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools this month and you should receive several interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that MCAT history you will have much better luck with DO schools.

Is that SMP one with medical school courses? Regardless I think you will be fine for DO programs.

With that MCAT history you will have much better luck with DO schools.

Is that SMP one with medical school courses? Regardless I think you will be fine for DO programs.

Yes, it's the med sci program at UNTHSC, so I'm hoping it bodes well for TCOM.

As far as my GPA, are schools generally forgiving of a low undergrad if the grad is a little better?

I'm not too concerned on whether I'll be a DO or MD, just as long as I get to matriculate somewhere in the states.

As far as my GPA, are schools generally forgiving of a low undergrad if the grad is a little better?

I'm not too concerned on whether I'll be a DO or MD, just as long as I get to matriculate somewhere in the states.

You're undergrad GPA was good enough for a DO school as is. The solid SMP performance on top just adds further confirmation for DOs. Hell your academic performance itself is probably sufficient to get a II or two from the Texas MD schools. It's your series of MCAT scores that will cause major problems there.

But like I said you're fine for a DO school.

You're undergrad GPA was good enough for a DO school as is. The solid SMP performance on top just adds further confirmation for DOs. Hell your academic performance itself is probably sufficient to get a II or two from the Texas MD schools. It's your series of MCAT scores that will cause major problems there.

But like I said you're fine for a DO school.

Thanks! It's really refreshing to hear that from a stranger. I was told similar things by my LOR writers and mentor but just wanted to get an unbiased perspective from someone based on my stats and posted experience.

Hopefully one or two of the Texas schools feel the same way as you!

Little better? No/ Lot better? yes. I think you qualify for the latter. The multiple MCATs are a concern and so if schools average scores, then you're not going to have much luck. Your best chances will be with TCOM and the new TX schools (including TX Tech and maybe UT-SA. Forget about UT SW or UT-H. Don't even think about Baylor.

Outside of TX, apply broadly to DO schools.

Little better? No/ Lot better? yes. I think you qualify for the latter. The multiple MCATs are a concern and so if schools average scores, then you're not going to have much luck. Your best chances will be with TCOM and the new TX schools (including TX Tech and maybe UT-SA. Forget about UT SW or UT-H. Don't even think about Baylor.

Outside of TX, apply broadly to DO schools.

Haha oh yeah Southwestern and Baylor were never going to be a thing. Unless I sent admissions a Legally Blonde-esque video.

I'm concerned about the averaging too but I thought i heard that Tech-Lubbock accounts for your highest. Even still I think I fall into their 10th percentile according to MSAR. With the new MCAT do you think averaging will still be a thing? I guess they can with the percentile.

I suspect that all med schools will be working with percentiles for several years, until we come up with numbers that we can be comfortable with as the old 30 (1o/1o/10)

Haha oh yeah Southwestern and Baylor were never going to be a thing. Unless I sent admissions a Legally Blonde-esque video.

I'm concerned about the averaging too but I thought i heard that Tech-Lubbock accounts for your highest. Even still I think I fall into their 10th percentile according to MSAR. With the new MCAT do you think averaging will still be a thing? I guess they can with the percentile.

@Goro

I think its still early in the cycle to be too terribly concerned, but in thinking ahead, what are your experiences with someone who took post bacc classes after a SMP for the sole purpose of boosting the undergrad GPA? While I have no idea what the admissions folks are thinking, I'm just wondering if getting an interview is really just a numbers game, and having a higher UG GPA with a stronger MCAT score could help my case.

I'd say that this is an applicant who wants to get into my medical school!

Numbers get you to the door, ECs get you through.

@Goro

I think its still early in the cycle to be too terribly concerned, but in thinking ahead, what are your experiences with someone who took post bacc classes after a SMP for the sole purpose of boosting the undergrad GPA? While I have no idea what the admissions folks are thinking, I'm just wondering if getting an interview is really just a numbers game, and having a higher UG GPA with a stronger MCAT score could help my case.

You really have nothing to worry about for DO programs.

It's not out of question to get a II at an MD school Goro recommended either.

Thanks yall! I really appreciate the advice. I guess seeing all the interviews going out is just making me a little anxious, albeit the sample size on SDN is extremely skewed.