MD Chances? What should I aim for on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fl0ridaman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aim as high as possible, a 520+ should get some looks your way. Easier said than done obviously

Hi everyone, I'm currently a junior at the Univ. of Florida and I wanted to get some advice on what my chances are and what I can do to improve my chances.

Here are some of my numbers:
  • cGPA: 3.56
  • sGPA: 3.35
  • Major: Nutritional Science
  • Asian Male
  • Roughly 50 hours of hospital volunteering experience
  • No leadership/research
Grew up in a very impoverished, high crime rate area. I actually received a full ride from UF since I am a first generation and my mom's (dad passed away) income is very low. Parents are immigrants and I am a first generation college student. I came into my freshman year with roughly 65 credits and some of the classes I took during dual enrollment in HS saved my GPA. I started out pre-med and it was the only thing I ever wanted to do but I dealt with ADD for a long time but it never crippled me since I didn't have a hard time in HS and when I was truly challenged, I couldn't keep myself up and things fell apart. Things really went downhill for me from there. I failed Gen. Chem, barely passed most of my science classes my freshman year.

I eventually gave up on my medical dreams since I figured this wasn't for me and I was looking for 'easier' paths but it just wasn't fulfilling. I tried Poli Sci my 3rd semester and did pretty decent since the classes were easier so I decided to ease my way back into science again. I was pretty stubborn and I just thought that I could just keep trying harder and suddenly do well. In my 4th semester, I decided that I'd just do engineering (definitely not what I wanted) so I can just finish school and get done with all of it. History definitely repeated again I withdrew from all my classes and petitioned it as a medical withdrawal, started counseling, and seeing a psychiatrist. Then I decided that I'll give the healthcare field a try again. Pharmacy was what I was aiming for because it is the most realistic with my grades and my backup plan but I know that I'm truly passionate about becoming a doctor and it better fits me so I'd be cheating myself out of it. This past summer I took 10 credits, which were physics, organic chem, and a nutrition class, and finished with a 4.0 GPA for the first time at my university. The nutrition class and orgo were definitely my two favorite classes by far so I declared nutrition science for my major this sem. My GPA at UF is still bad (3.0) but I really believe I'm on an upward trend and it's possible for me to finish these next two years with a 4.0 GPA.

The things I'm really lacking are extracurricular/leadership. I dealt with depression for a long time so I spent most of my time hiding at home and I made zero friends and was not involved at all. I'm currently working on this and branching out more. I will also look to find a research opportunity next semester and apply to volunteer at the local hospital again.

My preference is to stay in state but I'm open to any where that will accept me and I won't be in debt until I'm balding:
  • U of Florida (top #1 choice by far, I will do anything necessary to go here)
  • U of South FL
  • U of Central FL
  • Florida International Univ.
  • U of Miami
  • Florida State U

To be honest, I'm still hesitant about taking the leap of faith. I know where it's my heart is at and where I can succeed but I want to be realistic as well. My last question is what should I aim for on the MCAT? I've typically been a pretty good test taker so this is something that I expect it to be a strength. I apologize for saying so much but I feel like the numbers don't do me a whole lot of justice. I would appreciate any criticism, thanks for reading!

Aim as high as possible when studying. I had a "512" mindset for awhile, then decided I didnt want to limit myself and ended up scoring higher in large part because of that change in attitude. Shoot for the moon and don't sell yourself short.

You do not need a 520+ to get into schools, especially a a FL resident with so many in state options. I think a 510 would probably get you IIs, but again, aim high.

Good luck OP!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7+, preferably 3.8+ for the next two years, and a 515 or better should net you a competitive application at most schools except the very top. Some things will be forgiven because of your impoverished background; some schools consider that equal to URM status or veteran status.

Every applicant should study as if they are trying to get a 528

Reactions: 1 user
Every applicant should study as if they are trying to get a 528
Depends. There are diminishing returns. I shot for a 520 or better, and earned a 519, which I was fairly satisfied with. When you have two consecutive AAMC practice tests that are where you want them, that's when you are ready.