Chances...What to do other than sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhu13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a Junior with e cGPA:3.58 and sGPA:2.85. Bio1-B Bio2-C Phys1- B+ Chem1-B. I still have one semester of physics left, one of gen. chem and both orgos to take so there is room for improvment in the science gpa. If you include a statistics class I took the sGPA is 2.98 I believe. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm taking a Kaplan Prep course for it throughout next semester. I've worked in a large hospital as a clinical assistant for 2 years now, and have had experience in almost every department. I've logged about 1,500 hours with this job.

I plan on applying to many schools both DO and MD. I want to stay in the northeast. What are my chances at places like LECOM, PCOM, or VCOM. Are there any MD schools that might give me a shot. I'm sure I'll have strong LoR's and I feel like I'm a very personable personable person so I'm not affraid of an interview at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Need MCAT.

If you get A's in the rest of your coursework and get a 30 MCAT you would be fine for DO schools. Maybe retake a couple science courses too that you did the worst in.

If you get A's in the rest of your coursework and get a 33+ MCAT you would have a better shot for MD, but not guaranteed.

you sgpa is WAY too low right now. you need As in the remaining classes. No A- or B+ but solid As. You gotta raise that science gpa or you won't have a decent chance. And is your MCAT prep through this semester that started now? When will the prereqs be done. If you take the MCAT prep class before you are done with your prereqs it will be a giant waste of money. when are you planning on applying?

Not sure what your timeline is. When are you planning on taking the remaining classes? You need to prove you can handle sciences or you will get rejected. If you are planning on applying this June, I personally don't think you will be ready or setting yourself up for success.