Chances/will my gpa hurt me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most people hate these threads, but I don't really have anyone near me I can ask this sort of thing. Here are my stats

19 AA
19 TS
21 PA
16 QR
RC 22

GPA total 3.96
S GPA 3.93

The qr part messed me up pretty bad. I just ended up guessing on the last ten ran out of time. I'm worried that schools may think my GPA is padded. I worked extremely hard to get those grades.Has anyone ever had this problem?

I have over 200 hours dental shadowing and another 200 community service (I helped rebuild a summer Bible camp) I don't really have any research exp. except in class assignment type things, but I have very strong letters plus I worked as a CNA for two years.

I was planning on eight schools should I plan on more? One is a state school and 5 are private schools.

P.S. side question Do I need to wait for all my info to get in before I submit(DAT score, transcript, LOR, etc.)?

Thanks for whatever info you can give me. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Why dont you call the schools to find out? All the answers you will get here are people's opinions. Doesn't mean anything in regards to whether "you're ok" or not.

Generally, anything below a 18 is a no go. But considering most schools care the least about QR...i don't know.

The schools get your transcript. They will see what classes you took. If you meet their requirements then you took several hard classes so idk why anyone would think your GPA is padded. Your DAT is fine, especially if your GPA is that high. 16 isn't good but QR isn't too important. It is absolutely not true that anything under an 18 is a "no go." I know someone who got accepted with a 17 AA last year. Obviously unusual. A 15 is the cut off for a certain section in many schools. It's lucky yours is in math.

Research isn't necessary. Even a lot of medical students don't have research when applying.

You don't need everything before you start submitting things to the application. Start adding things as you have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people hate these threads, but I don't really have anyone near me I can ask this sort of thing. Here are my stats

19 AA
19 TS
21 PA
16 QR
RC 22

GPA total 3.96
S GPA 3.93

The qr part messed me up pretty bad. I just ended up guessing on the last ten ran out of time. I'm worried that schools may think my GPA is padded. I worked extremely hard to get those grades.Has anyone ever had this problem?

I have over 200 hours dental shadowing and another 200 community service (I helped rebuild a summer Bible camp) I don't really have any research exp. except in class assignment type things, but I have very strong letters plus I worked as a CNA for two years.

I was planning on eight schools should I plan on more? One is a state school and 5 are private schools.

P.S. side question Do I need to wait for all my info to get in before I submit(DAT score, transcript, LOR, etc.)?

I've seen a large number of applicants with a 3.9+ GPA and a 19AA get into dental school. I wouldn't worry about the low QR score, just make sure to apply to schools that don't have a QR cutoff of 17.

I thought the same thing, I had the exact same stats and had no trouble getting in, don't worry.

19 AA
19 TS
21 PA
16 QR
RC 22

GPA total 3.96
S GPA 3.93

You are fine. Just don't apply to schools that have cutoffs at 17.

19 AA
19 TS
21 PA
16 QR
RC 22

GPA total 3.96
S GPA 3.93

:confused:

From personal experience, I think you have a great shot. Make the rest of you app (and your interviews) shine.