Chances with 3.169 GPA and 36 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stats-wise: You can extrapolate your MD chances from your stats from this AAMC data: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf . I think you'd be better off than suggested with a steep recent upward grade trend, and possibly with some individual adcomm members due to your difficult major. To boost your chances further, you might consider an unoffical postbac after graduating where you take additional upper-level med-school-relevant Bio classes (earning all As, of course), delaying graduation for same, or an SMP.

For DO, I think your chances would be good.

EC-wise: Continue to gain shadowing and clinical experience. Some nonmedical, noncampus community service would help you, as would a good leadership activity (not sure what being a safety officer entails).

Just a completely irrelevant question, but did you find Biomedical Engineering to be a particularly challenging major? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I thought Biomedical Engineering was very tough. It's actually one of the hardest majors at my school.

What are my chances to get admission into a med school (MD or DO) with the following stats:

A senior at a top 10 college majoring in Biomedical Engineering.

GPA: 3.169 (last 2 semesters GPA: 3.74)
I did horribly my first 2 years in college (both because of hard classes and a bad attitude), but have been on an upward trend. Mostly it's been my engineering classes that I have gotten my lowest grades in. My last semester GPA should be 3.7 or above.

BCPM GPA: ~3.25 (Lowest pre-med class grade is in Orgo II with a C+)

MCAT: 36Q (13 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS)

Activities:
-Volunteering at hospital (overall about 75 hrs volunteered)
-Shadowing (around 40 hrs)
-Tutoring (first three years of college, and over the summer)
-Research (All three summers of college, 40 hrs/wk, 12 wks/summer)
Also have published a paper and attended a national conference.
-EMT-B certified this past winter
-Club Basketball Safety Officer
-Global Health Case Competition 3rd place team out of 8 teams

Thanks!

I had a 3.3 cGPA and 34S MCAT at a top 10 school and also in biomedical engineering. I had pretty good extracurriculars though (founded a substantial volunteer program at my hospital being one of them). I've gotten into Ohio State and Medical College of Georgia (my home state), and will interview at Duke this month... meaning with my stats I was able to get interviews at schools of different calibers.

Keep in mind that I did apply very early (primary in on June 6, and all secondaries in by late August). I applied to 33 schools, which was a huge pain and expensive, but I don't regret this decision. It's really difficult to predict which schools, other than you state schools, will give you interviews, especially with the stats that we have.

And the fact that you have an upward trend is very important. My upward trend (and Dean's List) was brought up and praised at both my interviews. Like you, I got a lot of low grades in my engineering classes, and during my first two years.

Keep your priorities in line: right now bringing up your GPA is perhaps the most important. Assuming this is your senior year, you'll have to make alot of sacrifices to be studious while all your friends are going out and having fun their final year. Work on your application early (essays and recommendations), and when June 1st comes around submit that application. When those secondaries come in, finish them as quickly as possible.

Good luck!