Chances with high DAT/low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pineapplelover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to dental schools this cycle and I'm a little worried about my GPA. I have a higher DAT score so I was wondering what my chances are?

oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.0
AA: 22
TS: 23
PAT: 20

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. Same GPA. Same DAT. From what I've noticed, people in our positions tend to get a few pre-dec invites. It's all about applying to the right schools. It'll be a bumpy year, but I'm confident we'll pull through. Stay optimistic!

Reactions: 1 user
It's nice to see someone in the same position...I guess we just have to hope for the best. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is turning into a mini-support group, haha. I'm playing with similar cards as are many others on here. All you can do is continue strengthening your application, apply very broadly and hope for the best. Good luck to you all! You should all join up ddsapplicants, there's a preponderance of strong stat folks over there, maybe we can even it out a bit.

Same exact GPAs here and a little higher DAT.

Who knows what will happen. Apply to many schools. Also apply early.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

I'll be in a very similar position as you. I just finished my sophomore year and now I'm studying to take my DAT this summer shooting for very high scores in hopes of making up for my GPA, which I'm hoping I could get up to around a 3.4 oGPA by the time apps come around next cycle (I've got a steep climb). And my #1 choice is UMDNJ because staying in state with my fam is almost a must.
Thank you for posting and let us know how it goes! I'm sure you'll be able to get in somewhere cuz your DAT is looking great!

I had 2 pre-December interviews and 1 post-December interview which I declined because I received acceptances to both schools I applied to. I officially applied to a total of 12 towards the middle to end of July (by the time AADSAS calculated my GPA) and sent my secondaries in August.

My oGPA: 3.0, sciGPA: 2.9, nonsciGPA: 3.2
Overall DAT: 20

I'm now starting UMDNJ this summer.

The worst thing you can do for yourself is skim through these threads comparing yourself to other people. Be proud of who you are and your accomplishments. Apply early and make sure your personal statement stands out. Once you apply, make a few phone calls or visits. It's just like applying for a job. Get out there and pound the pavement. It's business and you need to sell the product your know best... YOURSELF.

Congrats on UMDNJ! It's pretty intimidating looking at stats on here, thanks for the encouragement. I plan to apply early so I have the best chance possible. Thanks again and good luck with dental school!

I'll be in a very similar position as you. I just finished my sophomore year and now I'm studying to take my DAT this summer shooting for very high scores in hopes of making up for my GPA, which I'm hoping I could get up to around a 3.4 oGPA by the time apps come around next cycle (I've got a steep climb). And my #1 choice is UMDNJ because staying in state with my fam is almost a must.
Thank you for posting and let us know how it goes! I'm sure you'll be able to get in somewhere cuz your DAT is looking great!

Good luck to you! Work hard to raise your GPA and good luck on the DAT! You can definitely do well on the DAT if you study hard enough, it wasn't as hard as I was expecting, so just be confident in yourself.

I had 2 pre-December interviews and 1 post-December interview which I declined because I received acceptances to both schools I applied to. I officially applied to a total of 12 towards the middle to end of July (by the time AADSAS calculated my GPA) and sent my secondaries in August.

The worst thing you can do for yourself is skim through these threads comparing yourself to other people. Be proud of who you are and your accomplishments. Apply early and make sure your personal statement stands out. Once you apply, make a few phone calls or visits. It's just like applying for a job. Get out there and pound the pavement. It's business and you need to sell the product your know best... YOURSELF.

And if you don't mind me asking, where were you offered interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you a jersey resident?

you guys definitely have a good chance this year and apply early!! It not always guaranteed you will get interviews but having a lot of activites and great personal essay will definitely help. Having a high DAT score will definitely help if you end up on the waitlist as well !! Don't give up and good luck :)

you guys definitely have a good chance this year and apply early!! It not always guaranteed you will get interviews but having a lot of activites and great personal essay will definitely help. Having a high DAT score will definitely help if you end up on the waitlist as well !! Don't give up and good luck :)

Thank you! I will be applying in early June. I'm nervous, but hoping for the best!

Thank you! I will be applying in early June. I'm nervous, but hoping for the best!
That's the mentality I had :) Stay positive and work hard. Good things will come your way!

Apply BROAD!

I'm sorry to bring this up again, I know it has been brought up before, but I do think it's important to mention that you were considered a minority through AADSAS, just to be perfectly clear about everything that may or may not have had an effect on your application.

I know you have said don't consider yourself Hispanic, but if you put it down on your AADSAS then it's worth a mention. While I don't think it's the thing that got you in (obviously not, one thing does not make or break an individual and you had great grades in your post-bacc as well as great DAT scores), I do think it helped you stand out as an applicant. Unique life experiences will do that for people, and there is a reason certain individuals are underrepresented in the profession.

I'm sorry to bring this up again, I know it has been brought up before, but I do think it's important to mention that you were considered a minority through AADSAS, just to be perfectly clear about everything that may or may not have had an effect on your application.

Last edited:
I think you have decent chances as along as you apply broad and early! GL

Hi everyone!

I'm applying to dental schools this cycle and I'm a little worried about my GPA. I have a higher DAT score so I was wondering what my chances are?

oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.0
AA: 22
TS: 23
Bio: 21
gChem: 25
oChem: 25
PAT: 20

Our numbers are nearly identical....let's both get in!