chances with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptg813214

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im just trying to figure out if i have any shot to go to a top 25 medical school with these stats:

-3.51 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA (top 20 school)
-35 MCAT
-3 years of lab research in the cardiology department of the medical school for an assistant professor
-2 summers department of defense laboratory research in infectious disease lab
-3 years of clinical research in universities hospital
-1 year of biology greenhouse assistant
-2 years of shadowing an ENT/anesthesiologist/surgeon
-1 year of being vice president of fraternity
-2 years mentor to elementary school kid
-2 years assistant scout master of boyscout troop
-Did a 3 week medical trip to africa

What are my chances at top 25 schools such as UVA, UNC, Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'd certainly encourage you to apply to a few of them (but, obviously, don't limit yourself to only top tier schools). No candidate, however solid their stats, is a shoo-in at a top 25 school. The volume of candidates is just so enormous that even the best of the best are lucky to get in. You, specifically, have very good ECs but a weak GPA/MCAT for a top 25 school.

Well, I'd certainly encourage you to apply to a few of them (but, obviously, don't limit yourself to only top tier schools). No candidate, however solid their stats, is a shoo-in at a top 25 school. The volume of candidates is just so enormous that even the best of the best are lucky to get in. You, specifically, have very good ECs but a weak GPA/MCAT for a top 25 school.

what are you talking about? OP's stats are average for UNC (considering they are in-state)

http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/faqs

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you talking about? OP's stats are average for UNC (considering they are in-state)

Yes it would certainly help if the top 25 was in his/her home state. But staying with UNC, for example, 120 OOS were interviewed out of 3800 applicants. Do you think the OOS interviewees actually had a 3.7/33? Not likely. Even if one were OOS with a 3.7/33, superficially they look competitive, but due to the number of applicants their odds of being accepted are very poor. (On a side note, I think it is OP's GPA, not his/her MCAT that is the limiting factor).

Yes it would certainly help if the top 25 was in his/her home state. But staying with UNC, for example, 120 OOS were interviewed out of 3800 applicants. Do you think the OOS interviewees actually had a 3.7/33? Not likely. Even if one were OOS with a 3.7/33, superficially they look competitive, but due to the number of applicants their odds of being accepted are very poor. (On a side note, I think it is OP's GPA, not his/her MCAT that is the limiting factor).

the flip side is true, UNC interviews ~50% of IS applicants....making someone with a 3.2-3.5 30+ competitive for an interview.....