Chances with med school and what I can do for a better chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a chance?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Ni

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Uchiha98st

Reaction score
Hi, I want to know my chances of getting into medical school. Give me an honest answer

I am currently a junior in college and my gpa as of right now is a 3.06. If I get A's from there on , the highest I could get is a 3.2 gpa

For extracurricular activities / organization
- I am an Air Force ROTC cadet with multiple leadership experiences
- I have completed over 200+ of volunteering in the hospital
-30+ hrs of shadowing

In the near future, I am planning to do research. As well clinical rotations and shadowing in Argentina for the summer with CFHI

I haven't take the MCAT yet but I will next fall

I really want to know my chances and what I can do to better increase it.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to tell without an MCAT to be honest. You'd probably need >505 for DO and >512 for MD on MCAT to be competitive with that GPA (purely speculation). Also, try to volunteer with those less fortunate than yourself (doesn't have to be clinical) to show your altruistic side.

Your current chances of md admissions are poor. Do not do the Argentina program until you do enough shadowing/underserved/clinical volunteering in the US.

Don’t waste your time checking the EC boxes until you can handle the academic rigor, getting a 4.0 for the rest of your semesters when you have a 3.0 is very difficult. Examine what you’re doing wrong, finish strong, do a post bacc. an md admission will be a long process for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your current GPA is too low for MD and very low for DO. And what magical thinking are you using that you think you can possibly get straight As from here on out? You aren’t being realistic. Go semester by semester and see where you are when you graduate. Do you have an idea of why your grades are so low? Figure that out first and make the necessary adjustments to your studying. Once you get that together start to buff up your ECs. Why are you going to Argentina ? You need to have experiences and service right here in the USA. Surely you can find people in need in your community. You will probably need a post bacc to get your grades to an acceptable level. And don’t take the MCAT until you are very ready.. That means don’t take it until you are consistently scoring at or above your target score on FL practice tests.

Hard to tell without an MCAT to be honest. You'd probably need >505 for DO and >512 for MD on MCAT to be competitive with that GPA (purely speculation). Also, try to volunteer with those less fortunate than yourself (doesn't have to be clinical) to show your altruistic side.

Thank you for your response. I see you got a 515 on your MCAT. Any recommendations on how to study for the mcat? I know im shooting myself in the leg here and it may be impossible, but I want to try to get a high MCAT score to compensate for the GPA

Your current chances of md admissions are poor. Do not do the Argentina program until you do enough shadowing/underserved/clinical volunteering in the US.

Don’t waste your time checking the EC boxes until you can handle the academic rigor, getting a 4.0 for the rest of your semesters when you have a 3.0 is very difficult. Examine what you’re doing wrong, finish strong, do a post bacc. an md admission will be a long process for you.

Thank you for your honesty, I been thinking of doing a post-bac.

Your current GPA is too low for MD and very low for DO. And what magical thinking are you using that you think you can possibly get straight As from here on out? You aren’t being realistic. Go semester by semester and see where you are when you graduate. Do you have an idea of why your grades are so low? Figure that out first and make the necessary adjustments to your studying. Once you get that together start to buff up your ECs. Why are you going to Argentina ? You need to have experiences and service right here in the USA. Surely you can find people in need in your community. You will probably need a post bacc to get your grades to an acceptable level. And don’t take the MCAT until you are very ready.. That means don’t take it until you are consistently scoring at or above your target score on FL practice tests.

My grades are low because I was going through depression and family problems, resulted in me in partying too much because I wanted to forget about my issues. But I realize that you shouldn't let family matter affect you and have be strong emotionally, as well not running away from it. Anyways thank you for being honest , I appreciate it. I know it seems impossible for getting straight As from here on , but I think I will shoot for it and do my best. I realize my mistakes and how to fix it. I will consider post-bac.

My grades are low because I was going through depression and family problems, resulted in me in partying too much because I wanted to forget about my issues. But I realize that you shouldn't let family matter affect you and have be strong emotionally, as well not running away from it. Anyways thank you for being honest , I appreciate it. I know it seems impossible for getting straight As from here on , but I think I will shoot for it and do my best. I realize my mistakes and how to fix it. I will consider post-bac.

And this is a good attitude. It’s easy to say you shouldn’t let family issues impact you but it’s hard to do. But you do have to get yourself well and stable before you can seriously consider Med School. Med school pressure is intense so you do have to be well. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. I see you got a 515 on your MCAT. Any recommendations on how to study for the mcat? I know im shooting myself in the leg here and it may be impossible, but I want to try to get a high MCAT score to compensate for the GPA
If you're not good with time management then I'd recommend taking an in-person prep course and stick to their schedule. If you're good with time management then what I did was use the Kaplan 7-course books, Khan Academy MCAT videos, a flashcard MCAT app on my phone, and the AAMC materials. I did hardcore content review for 2 months straight, then incorporated passages during month three (progressively decreasing content review + increased passagework), then did pure AAMC material for month 4 (and content reviewed the topics/mistakes I made). I used 4 Next Step exams and the 3 or 4 AAMC tests and that was plenty. I also have a master's degree in medical sciences so that helped in Chem/Phys + Bio/Biochem.

Just test some different study methods and materials and find what works best for you. I like Kaplan, you may like Princeton Review, etc.Just be consistent and honest with yourself on your performances. If you get something wrong don't be like "ohhhhh I knew that. I'd get that right on the test..." Actually dig deep into why you didn't get it right the first time. Good luck! ~

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not good with time management then I'd recommend taking an in-person prep course and stick to their schedule. If you're good with time management then what I did was use the Kaplan 7-course books, Khan Academy MCAT videos, a flashcard MCAT app on my phone, and the AAMC materials. I did hardcore content review for 2 months straight, then incorporated passages during month three (progressively decreasing content review + increased passagework), then did pure AAMC material for month 4 (and content reviewed the topics/mistakes I made). I used 4 Next Step exams and the 3 or 4 AAMC tests and that was plenty. I also have a master's degree in medical sciences so that helped in Chem/Phys + Bio/Biochem.

Just test some different study methods and materials and find what works best for you. I like Kaplan, you may like Princeton Review, etc.Just be consistent and honest with yourself on your performances. If you get something wrong don't be like "ohhhhh I knew that. I'd get that right on the test..." Actually dig deep into why you didn't get it right the first time. Good luck! ~

Thank you for the information. I think im going to try what you did and see if I like kaplan. I would do prep course but I look it up its expensive.