chances with Ph.D. and 34P, cGPA = 3.95, sGPA = 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kihikihi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other relevant information:
--graduated 5th in class from Ivy League university (because A+ = 4.33)
--MCAT score breakdown: 10 PS, 11 BS, 13 VR
--Ph.D. in biology from top program; grad GPA = 4.0
--currently employed as a tenure-track faculty member at R2 university in NY
--considerable research experience (high school through present)
--received graduate and postdoctoral fellowships from the National Science Foundation
--some shadowing experience (~40hrs) of pathologists (my area of interest)
--my personal statement addresses the career change issue at length as will, I assume, my letters of rec
--NY resident

I would like to attend a top-tier school in the Northeast or CA but don't know what my chances of admission are given my stats. Also, I am strongly considering re-taking the MCAT because of my low PS score (PS is typically one of my stronger areas) but will not do so until late July.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your not a troll you have a good chance of getting in top 10

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am not a troll and I apologize for coming off that way. I am real person that no one really seems to know how to advise. Hence, my interest in this forum. Thank you for your thoughts.

2 things:
1. why is it always the good applicants who ask about their chances. Given your stats, getting into med school is almost a certainty.
2. If you already took mcats, you're already too far down the rabbit hole. At this point its better to apply and see if you get accepted.

Yeah, retaking MCAT when you have a 34 is pointless, especially given you other qualifications.

IMO, save yourself the trouble because you may very well score lower because it's not easy to improve from a 34. Not sure how you're doing on your practice exams but if you have a bad day, it might end up just hurting you. A 10 on PS will not hurt you and I doubt it will help much if you can improve to say a 36. Also, no matter how good you are at verbal, there's no guarantee you will score a 13 again (generally requires a 37-39/40 raw score). Just, FYI.

Just spend time to work on your personal statement (if you haven't already), research schools, or even start to pre-write your secondaries. That would be a much better use of your time.

I have identical stats and semi-similar EC's and people told me I may not have a very good chance :(

Other relevant information:
--graduated 5th in class from Ivy League university (because A+ = 4.33)
--MCAT score breakdown: 10 PS, 11 BS, 13 VR
--Ph.D. in biology from top program; grad GPA = 4.0
--currently employed as a tenure-track faculty member at R2 university in NY
--considerable research experience (high school through present)
--received graduate and postdoctoral fellowships from the National Science Foundation
--some shadowing experience (~40hrs) of pathologists (my area of interest)
--my personal statement addresses the career change issue at length as will, I assume, my letters of rec
--NY resident

I would like to attend a top-tier school in the Northeast or CA but don't know what my chances of admission are given my stats. Also, I am strongly considering re-taking the MCAT because of my low PS score (PS is typically one of my stronger areas) but will not do so until late July.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I know you're not trying to be a tool. but come on. you're mcat total is nearing the 90th percentile, and you HAVE A PH.D. i believe Ph.D. can make up for the "low" PS score. If getting into Harvard or Yale is of the utmost importance and you'll be happy with nothing less, than maybe you should retake. but keep in mind some schools (I have no idea about the ivys) will only look at your most recent score, so make sure you don't go down too drastically in the other 2 sections.

I know you're not trying to be a tool. but come on. you're mcat total is nearing the 90th percentile, and you HAVE A PH.D. i believe Ph.D. can make up for the "low" PS score. If getting into Harvard or Yale is of the utmost importance and you'll be happy with nothing less, than maybe you should retake. but keep in mind some schools (I have no idea about the ivys) will only look at your most recent score, so make sure you don't go down too drastically in the other 2 sections.

What this guy said, although I frankly see no reason why a retake would ever be advisable. Yes, you will be below the mean at the best schools, but your GPAs are fantastic, and your Ph.D. will shore you up quite well on the academic front.

A far better use of your time would be volunteering - unless you just left it out, it sounds like you have no volunteering, clinical or otherwise, which is a tough sell to med school no matter what else you do or are. You really need to find a gig at a clinic or hospital ASAP.

He is real person who people don't know how to advise because he's not real. There's no advice to be given