am0912

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2013
Ohio
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'm a junior at a large state college majoring in Molecular Genetics. I will be taking the MCAT this spring.

ECs:
This past fall I began volunteering in a neuroscience lab.To date I have accumulated approximately 100 hours in the lab and will most likely continue working in the lab until I complete my degree including over the summer.

I spent my sophmore (sept-june) year volunteering at the university medical center 3hrs/week

Aside from these experiences, I have spent the previous years heavily invested in my home community through the youth sports program including lifeguarding for 3 summers at the local public pool which led me to help with the development of a new swim team program with our pool manager which I have coached as a volunteer for 2 summers so far.

As far as school goes I have a cGPA of 3.53 and an estimated sGPA of 3.45
The good news: I have an upward trend with GPAs of 3.25 my freshman year, 3.56 soph, and 3.9 so far this year.

I am hoping for 33-35 MCAT score and hope to begin clinical shadowing soon during this semester.

Just wondering if anyone could give me feedback on what chances I might have with these numbers/history and any recommendations you might have to improve my app. Do you think an upward trend is good enough to offset my first two years if I do well on the MCAT? Also any advice on explaining the trend in interviews or addressing it in the personal statement is appreaciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
3.5 ish GPA and a 33-35 MCAT along with strong ECs (which you seem to have) should give you a good/great chance getting in somewhere.

the key, however, is ensuring that you GET that 33-35.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads