Chances with WEAK volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what might be the repercussions of my lack of a strong volunteer experience. After graduating high school I volunteered about 60 hours in an ER, and since then nothing real committed. I've tutored (maybe 1hr/week for the last 2 years) and one summer I was a mentor. But thats about it, pretty darn sparse in that field of the application

This summer I am planning on volunteering for the homeless. But that won't be too extensive either, and obviously I am just starting it.

So is this a deal breaker? Clearly I have volunteered (just not a lot), but do other factors make up for this? I have a + 3.5 GPA and a mid 30's MCAT score, and have extensive experience in the healthcare technology/regulatory world. I'm hoping my work experience might make up for this...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious what might be the repercussions of my lack of a strong volunteer experience. After graduating high school I volunteered about 60 hours in an ER, and since then nothing real committed. I've tutored (maybe 1hr/week for the last 2 years) and one summer I was a mentor. But thats about it, pretty darn sparse in that field of the application

This summer I am planning on volunteering for the homeless. But that won't be too extensive either, and obviously I am just starting it.

So is this a deal breaker? Clearly I have volunteered (just not a lot), but do other factors make up for this? I have a + 3.5 GPA and a mid 30's MCAT score, and have extensive experience in the healthcare technology/regulatory world. I'm hoping my work experience might make up for this...
What does the bolded text mean?

I've worked full time for a year at a healthcare technology company and done research at a government agency in the same field. i've also worked as an EMT.

I think I've shown a commitment to healthcare, I'm just very worried about the volunteering

Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked full time for a year at a healthcare technology company and done research at a government agency in the same field. i've also worked as an EMT.

I think I've shown a commitment to healthcare, I'm just very worried about the volunteering

It won't be a deal breaker at many schools, but if you are looking top tier it may be. Perhaps you should try to commit to something now, that way if you don't hear back from some schools by say christmas time, you can send update letters showing them your volunteering has improved. I don't think limited volunteer experience alone will bar you from most schools, just as many med students get in with limited or no research.

depending on your ethical leanings, all you have to do is "exagerrate" your hours a bit. I have never heard of a medical school trying to verify this stuff anyway.

How long did you work as an EMT? The time in the ER was long ago, and adcomms are looking for evidence of continued interest in and exploration of medicine as a career choice. You might get by with sparse community service, but you must have adequate clinical experience.

How long did you work as an EMT? The time in the ER was long ago, and adcomms are looking for evidence of continued interest in and exploration of medicine as a career choice. You might get by with sparse community service, but you must have adequate clinical experience.

I was only an EMT for a summer...I think this will be sufficient, not great, but enough to get by when also considering the clinical portions of training and the hospital volunteering as a whole.

I am definitely not aiming for top tiers either. Just an acceptance somewhere

depending on your ethical leanings, all you have to do is "exagerrate" your hours a bit. I have never heard of a medical school trying to verify this stuff anyway.

This argument has been done to death, but I will just say that this is absolutely unethical; however, he is probably correct that you wouldn't be caught. I can't recommend doing something like that, but it's obviously your choice.

Did you work with patients when you were employed in healthcare technology? Or was your research clinical in some way? Was the EMT experience recent?

Then you are misinformed.

:eek: You are seriously suggesting this to someone? Wow.