Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by j66, May 18, 2001.

1. j66

j66 Member

I am currently finishing up my senior year, and I was wondering what people thought of my chances are getting in to an American Medical School. I haven't had too much luck at Canadian ones.

My CGPA is 3.53
    SGPA=3.49
    MCAT=28N, but a 6 in verbal
    I have done some volunteer work in a hospital.
    And I am a minority, but not of the underrepresented brand.

Any input would be helpful.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The 6 on your VR will not give you much love anywhere you apply. Your CGPA is average and your SGPA is a bit low for a Canadian Applicant applying to the states. I would recommend retaking the MCAT if that's an option or working on the non-academic portion of your application. Afterall, who hasn't volunteered at a hospital?

As for being a URM, that doesn't matter if you're applying to the states unless you are an American citizen. (I noticed you're from Toronto)

I would still encourage you to apply if you have the time and money, b/c you never know. However, keep in mind that in order for you to receive an interview at an American Med School..... You basically have to intrigue them ..... b/c lets face it ... there are plenty of well qualified and well rounded American students ....

Regards,

Kevyn- :)

4. Oh I forgot to mention that I normally hate "Do I have a Chance" posts ..... but I'm feeling nice today ... so here are links to other threads which I'm sure you'll find helpful :)

<A HREF="http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003400" TARGET=_blank>
    web page</A><A HREF="http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003383" TARGET=_blank>
    web page</A><A HREF="http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002731" TARGET=_blank>
    web page</A>

5. j8463dp

j8463dp Member

my advice apply, retake , apply and apply again until you get in ... Persistance shows and will pay off in the end.

6. docuw

docuw Senior Member

have you looked at the MSAR or http://students.medschool.com or anything else that you could reference your question against? We do not know what you chances are. If I had to say anything, I would say your chances of getting accepted are 1 in 5. "Why?" you might ask. Because I had to give you an answer (hypothetically). It was based on a feeling. That feeling was based on, well... a few numbers and a few other things.

Of course, I, nor anyone else here, can give you your chances. You need to use the SEARCH function on the forum to see other similar posts (as UGBo1 has done for you already). Other advice: you need a higher MCAT score. Again, I feel like you might ask "What score do I need?" You need at least a 32.

Sorry for the abrasivness. Please, though - use your search and other references. :)

7. yigit

yigit Senior Member

Don't mind them...it's just that "what are my chances?" posts are everybody's pet peeve around here. I think it's because the whole process is kind of subjective and it's hard for someone to give you a good answer.
    Actually, now that I think about it there are a hundred other reasons why people don't like those kinds of questions, but I'm not going into that.
    Back to your chances...you'll definitely have to retake the MCAT and you might need to do something to raise your grades. I also recommend volunteering because it's really easy and med schools love it and some might even say that it's a good way to give back to your community or something ;) .
    Bottom line...you've got some work to do, but you'll be fine.
    :( :cool: :D :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

8. j66

j66 Member

Let me just clarify why I posted this topic. I did not post this because I need some reassurance from people so that I can feel better about myself. Rather I posted this so that people could give me advice on what I am lacking, and where I need significant improvements.

9. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member

I have very similar stats. I too am an non-URM but I guess you can say minority. My stats aren't great. Cummulative 3.43, science 3.47. MCAT 29N. I'm an american citizen from California. I had 2 interviews and I think I would have had more had I sent out more applications. My rec letters were good and I believe I was highly recommended by my schools health committee. Anyways, do as they said above. Apply, retake, reapply if necessary. What helped a little in my case is having a 10 on verbal and a diverse background in experiences. Email me if you have any questions.

wyldstyle

10. j66

j66 Member

hey wildstyle, which schools did you apply to? Do you have any recommendations to which schools you should apply to for someone with similar stats as myself?

11. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member

I think I squeezed by because of my letters or rec and connections w/one of the med schools through undergrad. I'm still on the waiting list. Being from Cali, I applied to most of the private ones there and 2 UCs. Anyways, I didn't send out many secondaries, only about 9 or 10. Your best bet is to apply to private med schools if you don't have stellar stats. I wasted my time on 3 public schools outta state and they prefer in state applicants at the least. I still think you biggest hurdle is your nationality if your from Canada. However, don't let that deter you. I am confident I'll get in this year if not next.