Chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddynamite914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently looking into medical school and would like to come up with a list of reaches, safety's, etc.

From a BIG10 University. Rising senior majoring in Neurobiology. My undergraduate cumulative is a 3.877 and I scored a 511 on the MCAT's. I've taken tons of upper level science courses ion neurobiology, and didn't really take too many easy semesters.

I have tons of extra curricular activities. For example, i am in a student organization (serving as vice president) and we built a community center at a local city for inner city students. It's a non profit organization and we do food drives for inner city homeless citizens, organize sporting events for inner city students, and help new residents apply and practice for their citizenship tests.

Also a senior member of another non profit that organizes teach and travel programs to Turkey, India, etc. I was responsible for recruiting and later also interviewed applicants.

Assistant wrestling coach for a nearby high school and club wrestling team. During the summer's I am assigned about ten wrestlers to work closely with. Monitor diets, workout regiment, teach wrestling techniques and accompany them in summer tournaments.

2 years tutoring in an organization that teaches AP biology, chemistry, calculus, etc to high school students.

Over 450 hours of volunteering and near 90 hours shadowing an Endorcine Surgeon and a cardiologist.

In addition, I plan on applying as a disadvantaged student. I'm from a city where the average household income in 30k. I am a first generation student. The high school I attended only had 28 students out of 400 to be accepted into a 4 years university (not counting trade schools and community colleges).

I am from Pakistan so identify as Asian.

Also did 2 years of research. Got published this semester!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall (if it opens for 2018)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Are my stats that low. Should I retake the MCATs? Lots of these schools being recommended aren't top or kid tier. What about rutgers med ? What should I improve on if I aim to get into some higher tier schools ?

Are my stats that low. Should I retake the MCATs? Lots of these schools being recommended aren't top or kid tier. What about rutgers med ? What should I improve on if I aim to get into some higher tier schools ?
Rutgers Med is one of the 3 NJ state public schools. You do not need to retake the MCAT. Which other schools are you interested in applying to?

Rutgers Med is one of the 3 NJ state public schools. You do not need to retake the MCAT. Which other schools are you interested in applying to?

I was looking into UPitt, university of Washington at seattle, Miami, university of Minnesota, and uni of Michigan

I was looking into UPitt, university of Washington at seattle, Miami, university of Minnesota, and uni of Michigan
U Pitt and Miami would be fine. U Washington accepts very few applicants from states they are not contracted with (NJ is not one of them). Minnesota only accepted 37 non residents 2 years ago and many of those are from adjoining states. U Michigan also gives preference to residents and your MCAT is below the 10% percentile for non residents who matriculate.

U Pitt and Miami would be fine. U Washington accepts very few applicants from states they are not contracted with (NJ is not one of them). Minnesota only accepted 37 non residents 2 years ago and many of those are from adjoining states. U Michigan also gives preference to residents and your MCAT is below the 10% percentile for non residents who matriculate.

What would you say I do to improve my app? What are my weaknesses as an applicant ? Also what are the benefits to applying as disadvantaged? I haven't looked too much into it , but was just recommended to do it by my universities center of pre med advising

What would you say I do to improve my app? What are my weaknesses as an applicant ? Also what are the benefits to applying as disadvantaged? I haven't looked too much into it , but was just recommended to do it by my universities center of pre med advising
There are some advantages to applying as disadvantaged. You have a strong application so all you need to do is interview well when you start receiving interviews.

There are some advantages to applying as disadvantaged. You have a strong application so all you need to do is interview well when you start receiving interviews.

What are some of the benefits to applying disadvantaged? Also there was a mistake with hours of volunteering. I actually have done 600 hours

What are some of the benefits to applying disadvantaged? Also there was a mistake with hours of volunteering. I actually have done 600 hours
You will be seen as an applicant who has overcome a disadvantaged background who did well academically. You have a slight edge over applicants with stats similar to yours who come from wealthy or privileged backgrounds.