chances....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveanne

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.3 gpa
28 mcat
volunteering
and recommdation
all avg..

only interested in nj med..

Members don't see this ad.

Once you limit yourself to a geographical location as strict as yours I would have to say that you chances dramatically decrease. Plus your stats are exactly what you said, average. But then again this whole med school thing is a crap shoot anyway.

Chances - 1 in 30

[This message has been edited by Zero Cool (edited 10-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Zero Cool (edited 10-16-2000).]

ic. hmmm
1 of 30..
wow... thats pretty uhmm bad
well.. if i broadened my choices to a north eastern school what are availuble with my stats..

thx

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you need to expand on your stats. Saying that you "have a recommendation" is nothing special, so does everyone, it's a requirement. What state are you in ? Extracurrics ? Major ? There's no such thing as average, everyone is unique, according to DNA discoveries half a century ago that is. If you live in new jersey, there are lots of good neighboring new york schools, and other tri-state area schools you can check out. You can do it !

okie..these are not my stats yet.
Im thinking this will be by the end of this year.. i havent gotten too many recommdations yet too... I am a new jersey resident, hoping for robert wood or new jersey medical school.. just thinking of my chances now, because even if i do meet the standard for these medical school its probably luck that will get in or get me out anyway.

Your chances are not exactly 1 in 30. They are probably as good as about half the people that will be applying. But there are some things to increase you chances of getting in.

First....do not limit yourself to New Jersey. Like the previous post, there are schools in New York, Penn, etc., that are relatively close by.

Second...apply early. This is key!!! If you apply early you will increase your chances dramatically. So this means start working on that personal statement early, say late April. Have people look it over and give you suggestions. Get that thing in by mid June.

I did not mean to be negative about your chances. The point I was trying to make was that getting into med school is somewhat of a crap shoot. So your best chance is to apply. If you don't apply chances are definitely zero that you will get accepted.

Best of luck.