Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK. Lay it on me. Anybody think I've got a shot? I have a degree in history from Univ of WI. I have a 3.34 GPA (I know it's low), but my last 2 semesters (which were science intensive) were 3.5 and 3.9, so I'm improving. I got a 35P MCAT (11 V, 12 B, 12 P). I am a MN state resident. I have applied to my state schools (UMN and UMDuluth) and some other lower tier schools (Chicago Med School, UVM, Medical College of Wisconsin) and a few other decent schools. Is anyone else in this high MCAT low GPA situation, and what has happened? Just let me know. Thanks, y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah. I've also got research and patient exposure (2 summers) at the Mayo Clinic. I was a research assistant to a blind MD/PhD student at UW for a summer. I ahve published 3 abstracts based on research at the Mayo Clinic, and have four papers up for publication. I have worked at the campus disability resource center for 3 years. I volunteered on the Appalachian Service Project for 2 years. I think that's it.

Your GPA isn't low at all. Your MCAT is great, and your GPA is acceptable. If you can talk coherently and seem like a normal person, and if you don't say things like "I believe GOD has given me the power to choose who lives and who dies" during the interview. Sit tight and wait for acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by imtiaz:
•If you can talk coherently and seem like a normal person, and if you don't say things like "I believe GOD has given me the power to choose who lives and who dies" during the interview.•
Oh my. Please tell me this hasn't happened before. I mean.... GEEE!!

You are right that a 3.34 is low for many school. But this varies greatly - and combined with a 35 MCAT you should at the very least get past initial screening with no problem. After that your pubs, extracurrics, and the improvement in your GPA over the past year should get you very high marks! If you are as dedicated and personable as you seem, you should have no problem :)

I honestly think that one of the keys to this whole process is applying to the right places - and it sounds like you are being very realistic. It's great that you have quality state school available to you! And hey - go for a few top-tier schools too just to see what happens!

I agree with sbrandon on applying to a few top-tier schools as well (provided that adding a few more schools won't break the bank). I know someone with a 3.2 GPA and 40 MCAT who got into UCLA (although he did not get in to any of the other 24 "top 25" schools he applied to). So, give it a shot. You never know what might happen. Good luck!